another shoulder of woe!

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: another shoulder of woe!

Post by oldranger »

Followup on back and shoulder and my fishing and hiking future. Still getting pt but left arm is completely functional for fishing with reels with left handle. Down in mexico the conventional reels that required holding rod with left hand stressed my arm quite a bit, especially when jigging. My plan for next years mexico trip is to get left handled reels. One 6500 to 8000 size spining reel and a bait casting reel capable of holding at least 300 yards and with 30 lb drag. As for hiking due to the amount of time with limited exercise due to the back surgeries and broken shoulder I am noticeably weaker than 2018. Also despite the surgeries damage to the spinal cord is permanent. All I can do is exercise to improve balance, agility, and strength to the extent possible. Not willing to give up wilderness travel yet so a couple hours a day of varied but challenging (for me) exercise is on my agenda for the foreseeable future. I am so jealous of other folks in their 70s whose bodies are not breaking down.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Don't they provide gear that you would otherwise use once a year?
I'm confused by the left-handed gear as I am left handed. I cast with my left hand and reel with my right hand.
Glad to hear you're still trying to keep in shape.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Yeah it is confusing. by left handed i Mean reel with left hand.95% of conventional reels for ocean use are designed to be reeled with right hand. I find that hard for me to do since I have always cast with my right and reeled with my left using spinning gear. almost all the gear on the charter boats are right hand crank.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Looked at my Penn's 112H. I used them for sturgeon/striper/shark fishing. Right hand crank. Sorry, or I would have loaned them out.