Balance

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Balance

Post by John Harper »

I used to walk home from school years ago, about 5 miles out of town (not uphill both ways during snowstorms!). Started walking on the top of the railroad rails and tried to go as far as I could before losing balance. I really think it helped with surfing, hiking, and overall balance.

John
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks maverick, amusing input enough that I may just try and do that although I don't know squat about yoga. Have thought about taking a class a few times.

Of course as a person that has often traveled over unpleasant terrain off trails over decades, one's balance is of prime value. Take someone otherwise fit that walks along trails fine, out in such places, and they may have a lot of trouble using much more effort than is efficient. Balance is certainly a physical skill that requires repetition to become better at.

During winters I've been an advanced snow skiing enthusiast for decades and in particular am a quite smooth mogul skier that requires constant fast balance adjustments where one's upper body remains relatively quiet while most motion is a result of what goes on below the waist. I use the same kind of balance when moving over small to moderate sized talus and it is not uncommon while moving at a dynamic speed to start losing my balance and then rapidly recapture it during a rapid foot on boulders sequence that happens too fast to do anything more than react automatically to. Much of the time I am day hiking over talus, I am also carrying in my right hand 7 pounds of tripod plus pano head with camera atop, such that balance becomes even more tricky.

Growing up in the Sacramento region, we kids were forever climbing oak trees and like our ancestral monkeys. One becomes really good at calming oneself before making slow concise movement lest one fall and at a minimum suffer serious injuries. That is much the same as with rock climbing though I don't have advanced rock specific skills for such. A week ago when on my fall leaf road trip, I bushwhacked, bashed, clawed, and monkeyed my way up through this stunted twisted clone aspen grove in the foreground, growing atop small to medium talus to reach this rock outcrop for the shot. Doing so one is continually moving like a gymnast. And during spring same thing walking along coastal trails carrying tripod etc where I need to slip gingerly like a dancer past poison oak along use paths.

bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Some of us old geezers do OK on flat trails. I can still do some miles. However, if I am trying to do uphills in warm weather, it really kicks my butt, no matter how far I have reduced my backpack load. High altitude is not a serious problem for me.

So, suppose that I did 15 miles to get over a mountain pass, and then I struggled downhill to set up camp. My leg muscles are shot. By that, I mean that my balance is wobbly on the downhill, and I have almost no strength left. What can I do to improve my recovery?

I typically consume dilute Gatorade or Cytomax during the day, so I think that I've got some electrolytes on board. What can I consume to help out the aching muscles? Would a supplement like Magnesium Citrate do any good?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I prefer aspirin on the way up and Advil the next day. Electrolytes can't hurt. I don't even plan 15 mile days anymore. Uphill sucks for me, but downhill I can crank it so my knees are great. Now if I could get rid of the drop foot problem, I might make my September trip. I try and do uphill early, but given I live in Sac, it is a drive and I try to leave the day before and camp high. All my hiking buddies also live near sea level. To acclimatize is important. I put those electrolyte tabs in my bottles all the time.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I just wish that there was some magic potion other than electrolyte drinks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bobby,

PM sent. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Glad to be back after a long time and see this thread. As I have been getting older I have noticed a distinct loss of balance. I have been so wrapped up in my business that between that and Covid I haven't been able to get out on the trails nearly as much as I used to or would like, even time for dayhikes has been hard to come by. I just managed to get both a long weekend and a permit and did a trip to celebrate my 68th birthday over bishop pass to lower dusy basin lakes and spent time dayhiking all around Dusy basin visiting the lakes. Hiking in. I didn't notice any balance problems except on the blasted out rock switchbacks going up the pass and then a bit as my legs tired on the long downhill to the lower lakes. After spending alot of time the next day hiking cross-country over some rough terrain, I felt much more confident and in control. Hiking out I had no issues.I think for me I need to both do exercises Like Mav proposed at the start of this thread but also get out on challenging terrain more often. Fortunately I will be semi-retiring at the end of 2022 and will have much more time to get out there.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher