Ski Exercises?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ski Exercises?

Post by BSquared »

Hey, folks. Just got back from a trip to Utah for some resort (mostly) and XC skiing (one day), and man, I hurt!

What are people's favorite ways of getting in shape for skiing? I know about wall-sitting (I just can't bring myself to do much of something so inactive), and of course I jog for general conditioning, but do you know of anything you think is particularly good for downhill (mostly upper thighs, I guess) and XC (inner thighs?)??
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I do the typical excercise stuff which helps. Running, biking, hiking, weights, and stretching. I found that doing martial arts helps with both leg strength and balance. A few other excercises I do sometimes just for skiing is my version of step aerobics. Jumping back and forth over a rope or step, with both or just one leg, etc...now, if only it'd snow some more :nod:
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

If you think you guys in California have got it bad, check out the east-coast ski areas! It's been absolutely dismal -- most of the places we go for "mini-skis" around here aren't even open!
Strider
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Strider »

Been using my stairmaster a lot. After 1/2 hour, the upper thighs really start to sting, as long as you keep upright and don't lean on the rails.

I couldn't ski last year due to knee surgery, so the lack of snow is really depressing. Guess I'll have to cough it up and go to Colorado.
'Hike long and perspire'