A sedate sport: road biking...5,000 miles

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

A sedate sport: road biking...5,000 miles

Post by balzaccom »

I began this year with a goal: to ride my bicycle at least 5,000 miles over the course of the year. This was quite a challenge, given the number of miles I traveled on airplanes (135,000+ through today) and the fact that I was not only running my own business, but also teaching two classes at the local college.

But success is mine! This week I rode a number of days when the temps dropped down into the high 30's and watched with glee/relief as the odometer on the bike rolled over 5,000 miles for the year...and it's now over 62,000 miles since I bought my Bianchi Giro about thirteen years ago.

Now if the weather would just warm up, I'd love to get on the bike and go for a ride...
Last edited by balzaccom on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: A sedate sport: road biking...5,000 miles

Post by oldranger »

I'm impressed but Paul buck up! [-X Saw person on fat tire bike riding through this stuff yesterday with temp below 30!
Snow.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I bought my Bianchi Giro about thirteen years ago.
Have the same bike, but purchased 11 years ago. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I am way too much of a wimp. I hate riding in cold weather---don't really mind the heat though. I'd prefer 100 to 35 degrees any day!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Riding in 100 degree weather isn't wimpish! Doesn't seem particularly bright though! [-X How can you keep hydrated? I have visions of you pulling a trailer with a 50 gallon drum with a tube running up to you on the bike.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

WOW!! 5K miles. That is a great accomplishment. I ride a lot, both mtb and road. Maybe on average 2x /week and I have only ridden 2,300 miles. So I can appreciate the amount of time you put in the saddle to achieve your goal. :thumbsup:
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

very cool to see others ride a lot. I'm approaching one lap around the equator in summer since starting to track my distance. I count in kilometers, though, since that looks even better :) Last year 10,600 kilometers, 90% of that commuting, any temp, any weather. Still have the winter tires on the bike today, and it just snowed again (with a 55 degree forecast for the day - what's up with that?)

I started bike commuting about 4 years ago and now I wouldn't want to live close to work any longer. 2 hours on the bike each day has become a part of my life. Beats 90 minutes in the car and no exercise for the same commute.

I prefer -20 F windchill and dry sunny over 95F and humid, but at some time during the year I get to deal with both ends of the spectrum. More important differences are found near the 32F mark - give me a 30F day with snow any day over a 34F day with rain.