Altitude Sickness on HST

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
marcyj1
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Altitude Sickness on HST

Post by marcyj1 »

Hi! We are going to be hiking the HST starting next week and have read a lot about altitude sickness. The only known medicine I have heard of requires a prescription and is expensive, so I was curious if anyone has had any luck with any other remedies? Also, if anyone has had altitude sickness symptoms and/or knows some ways to help treat it that would be greatly appreciated! Just trying to be prepared :) Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Altitude Sickness on HST

Post by maverick »

Hi Marcy,

Welcome to HST! Here are a 2 long threads on that subject:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8216&hilit=altitude+sickness
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1695&p=10876&hilit=ams#p10806

Please write us up an intro here, please: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Altitude Sickness on HST

Post by overheadx2 »

I live in Huntington Beach, so every time I go backpacking I get sick (horrible headache to the point of throwing up) unless I aclimate. This is definitely associated with acclimating so I always sleep at elevation the night before ( 5 and 6k feet doesn't do it for me). I also take 2 aspirin in the AM before heading out and no coffee the first day (dehydration). I try to hydrate well the week prior, and also use a hydration formula that is sold at rite aide for rehydrating people that have diarrhea or throwing up. In addition, I try to have a relatively easy hike on day one. If I do those things I will be fine, if not I will be throwing up.
This is different from some one that gets altitude sickness during the trip. When these symptoms happen during the trip and not at the start, it is much more serious and get to lower elevation immediately. In reality, getting to the trail head the day before is the most helpful. Hope that helps.