Your "fitness age?" | High Sierra Topix  

Your "fitness age?"

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.

Your "fitness age?"

Postby mokelumnekid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 pm

This article in the new York Times discusses research as to how to produce a simple metric called fitness age to assess ones state of fitness relative to normal parameters for a certain age, see article here:

http://tinyurl.com/lrea2ce

If this link expires one can go directly to the calculator here:

http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max

From the article, "The researchers evaluated almost 5,000 Norwegians between the ages of 20 and 90, using mobile labs. They took about a dozen measurements, including height, body mass index, resting heart rate, HDL and total cholesterol levels. Each person also filled out a lengthy lifestyle questionnaire. Finally, each volunteer ran to the point of exhaustion on a treadmill to pinpoint his or her peak oxygen intake (VO2 max), or how well the body delivers oxygen to its cells. VO2 max has been shown in large-scale studies to closely correlate with significantly augmented life spans, even among the elderly or overweight. In other words, VO2 max can indicate fitness age."

For example in my case, I am 61, have a resting heart rate of 60, a 34 in (86 cm) waist and my estimated fitness age is 49 years old. They add a lot of extra info on how to improve that (by making it lower). One key thing is to have at least 4 minutes of high intensity exercise, but see article and link above for all the caveats. Obviously there are probably many aspects that aren't captured by a study of this kind but it does make some sense.

mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Re: Your "fitness age?"

Postby ndwoods » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 pm

I got part way thru it and it wouldn't take me to rest of test. Oh well. I think I'm pretty fit...I do Crossfit...:)
ndwoods
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Return to Outdoor Boot Camp