Getting back in shape after a full season layoff

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Getting back in shape after a full season layoff

Post by bobby49 »

RSC wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 pm This sounds like it would be helpful for me as well. Downhills are currently a weak point for me.
bobby49 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 am ... with their feet pointed slightly bowlegged to improve balance.
Does this mean that the toes are pointed in (pigeon-toed) or pointed out (duck-footed)?
Slightly outward. You have better balance that way.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by RSC »

maverick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:28 pm
Downhills are currently a weak point for me.
Hi RSC,

Read: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =19&t=4067 :nod:
Thanks, maverick. Lots of good information to digest here.
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by RSC »

bobby49 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:34 pm
RSC wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 pm This sounds like it would be helpful for me as well. Downhills are currently a weak point for me.
bobby49 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 am ... with their feet pointed slightly bowlegged to improve balance.
Does this mean that the toes are pointed in (pigeon-toed) or pointed out (duck-footed)?
Slightly outward. You have better balance that way.
Thanks, bobby. Makes sense.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Thank the old Sherpa guide.

Nine of us were trekking to Mount Everest Base Camp. Back in those days, the road didn't go very far, so we had to trek over five ridges and valleys to get there. By about the second or third one, many of the trekkers were getting very sore knees and didn't think that they could continue. Then the Sherpa (Anu Sherpa of Namche) showed us the trick. Soon later, we had all learned how to do it, and life became easier.

That's the trouble with our trails in the Sierra Nevada. You can never find a Sherpa when you need one.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I spend about 45 minutes running up stairs, and walking back down quickly but gingerly to not stress the knees. I had to stop serious running in my 20's, but some reason I can tolerate the stairs. The stairs give me both leg strength and cardio, which is missing since the pools closed, and they are a very efficient use of time. I think the trails are opening this week, so finally I can also do some long days. Challenging times.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Actually I think it is the Lipitor (atorvastatin) that I was recently put on. I'm going to see if my dr can change it to something else, or even better eliminate it entirely as I am just barely in the high cholesterol range.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

MountainMinstrel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:05 pm Actually I think it is the Lipitor (atorvastatin) that I was recently put on. I'm going to see if my dr can change it to something else, or even better eliminate it entirely as I am just barely in the high cholesterol range.
Ask your doctor about getting a coronary calcium scan done (its a non invasive CT study of the heart). The logic is if you do not have coronary artery disease then there is no need to be on statins.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was on Metoprolol and Lisinopril a couple of years ago due to high blood pressure. No way to raise my heart rate.
Tried the Rafferty creek trail and didn't make my destination.
Dropped it like a hot rock after that.
Best approach is to change your diet if possible.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

freestone wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:05 pm
MountainMinstrel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:05 pm Actually I think it is the Lipitor (atorvastatin) that I was recently put on. I'm going to see if my dr can change it to something else, or even better eliminate it entirely as I am just barely in the high cholesterol range.
Ask your doctor about getting a coronary calcium scan done (its a non invasive CT study of the heart). The logic is if you do not have coronary artery disease then there is no need to be on statins.
The reason that I was put on the statin is that I have a very small Abdominal Aortic Aneurism. I was diagnosed over a year ago when the discovered that I also have Retro Peritoneal Fibrosis (which is what kept me off the trail last year). However, my old vascular surgeon did not put me on a statin so I'm not sure that it is totally necessary. I'll be calling him tomorrow.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

freestone wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:05 pm
I have a small Abdominal Aortic Aneurism and my Vascular surgeon put me on it as a precaution' He has since put me on another statin with the same results. the problem is that they both have adverse reactions to the meds I'm taking for my autoimmune disorder so I've just stopped taking them altogether. the muscle damage is a much bigger concern to me than the AAA which will almost certainly never amount to anything.

On a positive note...I've been able to go on two day hikes of about 9 miles each, and while they both hurt a bit, I've recovered over night in each case. Planning for a short overnight, maybe two night outing in Emigrant (my backyard) in the next few weeks. \:D/
Also, I've had more CT's of my upper body in the last year and a half than I can keep track of...no coronary issues at all.