Foliage already turning colors!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Foliage already turning colors!

Post by John Dittli »

and a few drive by's from Rock Creek
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

Nice pics. I was also up Rock Creek over the weekend to climb Mt. Morgan and the fall colors are still far from peak but coming along nicely in some areas!
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks JD,

Rock Creek should be looking nice in a week or two with this cold snap hitting
this weekend and another colder one mid week, hopefully the second one doesn't
effect the colors to dramatically in a negative sense.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Bishop Creek is more advanced then RC, though still a lot of green. I have a feeling that many of the leaves that have already turned will drop soon.

A few days ago the scrub aspen up on Tamarack Bench in RC were blazing orange (that area traditionally comes on early). After the wind last night, most of them have dropped.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks John, your images are just what I needed to calibrate timing for a short trip into the Bishop Creek areas. The first storm Fri/Sat is likely dry and windy and may remove a lot of early turning leaves at highest elevations and then another trough comes in midweek that I'm expecting may be the dusting making a trip worthwhile. An early peak in some of the higher groves will probably surprise many leaf seekers as most don't understand how fast it plays out sometimes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fall Foliage update: http://www.parchersresort.net/fallcolor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I plan on driving from west to east over Hwy 88 through Hope Valley, down through Markleeville, over Monitor Pass down to 395 and then down 395 hitting all the usually suspects along that corridor. With that in mind, how are the colors doing in Hope Valley? Has anyone been there recently? I am thinking of going 9/28-10/1, but would 10/2-10/5 be better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Report from photographer this past weekend that should help:
I was looking for aspens turning. I checked Hope Valley, Monitor Pass, down 395 to
Conway Summit, nothing, they were all green with an occasional tree that had a
few yellow leaves.

After Conway I turned onto the Virginia Lakes road and explored the Aspens in that
area, same thing, a few with some yellow, no all yellow trees that I could find. I
even 4WD up some dirt roads as far as I could go, same story.

It wasn't looking good so I detoured out to Bodie and wandered around there for a
couple hours trying to find stuff I had not photographed on previous visits.

I checked Dunderberg, June Lake Loop, Lundy Lake, and continued checking all the
spots I knew about on down to Bridgeport. It wasn't until I got to North Lake very
late in the day that I found any real color. In that area yes, the change is underway.
Most trees are yellow, many are orange. Looks like it will be in full glory in a
week or so.

mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Maverick, thanks for the report. Are you saying that was from the weekend of the 21st? If so, that is way different than what californiafallcolor.com is reporting. Thanks a bunch for the Hope Valley info. I couldn't find info on that anywhere.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, this photographer went up very early on Sunday (22nd). Personally I tend to go with
first hand accounts from photographers, which is why I will miss the CalPhoto site for
Fall colors and wildflower reports.