Foliage already turning colors!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Foliage already turning colors!

Post by mountaineer »

Maverick, thanks for the report. Are you saying that was from the weekend of the 21st? If so, that is way different than what californiafallcolor.com is reporting. Thanks a bunch for the Hope Valley info. I couldn't find info on that anywhere.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes, this photographer went up very early on Sunday (22nd). Personally I tend to go with
first hand accounts from photographers, which is why I will miss the CalPhoto site for
Fall colors and wildflower reports.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

maverick wrote:Yes, this photographer went up very early on Sunday (22nd). Personally I tend to go with
first hand accounts from photographers, which is why I will miss the CalPhoto site for
Fall colors and wildflower reports.
That is what I figured. I had already given more credence to your report.

I miss Dave Henry's interactive fall color map that usually runs on the Sac Bee site. Hasn't published yet this year and he told me via email yesterday that he doesn't know who is going to do it. That report was usually dead on.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

mountaineer wrote:... Are you saying that was from the weekend of the 21st? If so, that is way different than what californiafallcolor.com is reporting...
Actually this happens every fall. Post some images that look good and some people are sure to drive up from LA. Good for eastside businesses to snag a few early haha. Its not that they are being deceptive because they are naming some lower areas that are still green. Just not showing images of the green areas or noting the named areas are lower elevation. That is for the reader to do their homework for looking such green places up on a topo and gleaning some wisdom. Simply put, the majority of leaf seekers have little understanding of when or why different aspen groves change color when they do. They see some photos and go. Look at old calphoto posts from previous seasons and each fall there will be a few just like the person in maverick's thread.

The upper Bishop Creek areas always start to change and then peak before most areas further north or lower areas of Bishop Creek. Those reports and images are areas above 9000 feet. Bishop Creek areas have more high elevation groves than anywhere else on the east side. Most everywhere else is still just as green as lower down on Bishop Creek at Aspendale and Four Jeffries. All those big groves in Hope Valley for instance are at the same elevation as Four Jeffries and will change much later.

Being aware of grove elevations, exposures, and late season sources of sub-surface water is important to predicting when areas will change because just like is often the case with spring wildflowers...windows for peak color are short. Youz snooz, youz looz. And most of us do not want to waste time and money (gasoline).

Now there are some small high elevation groves to the north, but most are rather out of sight from highways. For instance up Rock Creek Road, around the big campground at Rock Creek Lake at 9.7k and above along the narrow road to Mosquito Flat. Or in Gibbs Canyon (tributary to Lee Vining Creek) but people can't see them from below. There are more and those who are topo savvy and explore will reap their secrets.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Now there are some small high elevation groves to the north, but most are rather out of sight from highways.
Ditto! Some of my secret spots I found by sticking the truck in 4wd and driving down random dirt roads! Some great spots in the Bridgeport area like that.

The reason I am seeking as much information as possible before going is I only have 4 days...the up side is I have a lot of leeway as to when i use those 4 days. I have never been to Hope Valley for the colors and wanted to hit it on the same trip this time. Problem is, there is a lot of lag time between Bishop area turning and Hope Valley turning so seeing both on the same 4 day trip is probably not feasible.

I understand what you are saying Dave, about knowledge being important, but this year is really weird due to the drought. I was over there at the beginning of August and already saw some of the Sherwin area with yellow. I just can't get it nailed down this year.

On the other hand, last year I had to skip my eastside fall trip to go to Michigan for a wedding...got lucky and hit southern MI on their peak weekend.