Lightweight Tripod

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lightweight Tripod

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So this year when I hit the Sierra I am thinking of bringing a tripod along. While backpacking I found a tripod which I kept since I didn't have one at all. It weighs 12.80 ounces and is about 40 inches tall. What I don't like about it is the legs. They are hard to push back in since you have to mash them to get them to slide. So I set out to find something that has better legs that is around the same weight or lighter and what have I been able to find? Nothing... Infact the only tripods I could find that even come close to being as light or lighter are tiny ones that hardly sit off the ground. Gitzo's lightest tripod that is a bit heavier is over 400 dollars and sits at max 27 inches off the ground which I still find too low. Sure Tamrac makes the zipshot which is light but then the legs are a fixed height.

It's hard to believe that a random tripod I find is the best option out there. So does anyone know of a tripod that that fits the specs of under a pound and around 40 inches high or taller.

I only need to put a point and shoot on it so the load weight doesn't matter much.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lightweight Tripod

Post by oldhikerQ »

Check out the Delkin Fat Gecko tripod. It weighs about 1 pound and is rated for cameras up to 30 (!) pounds. While the legs are not adjustable once assembled, the adjustable center post gives a working height of 53 to 67 inches. Packed length is 22 inches. I've got one on order to use with my DSLR.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

For Point & Shoots: http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is a short article on the subject: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear ... letop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I just dug this up, might not be what you need though
Rich Lillo
(sierrahiker) - F
Re: Trekking poles with camera mount. on 06/04/2012 14:21:57 MDT Print View

What I did is put a ¼-20 threaded insert into the top of the handle of one my trekking poles, then attach a mini ballhead mount that can be easily removed when not in use. I use a mini bungee cord with the other pole for a duopod. If you do this remove the strap from the handle, use a drill that is the small diameter of the insert, and use a long ¼-20 bolt with a nut as a backstop to screw in the insert. Make sure the ballhead mount you get will support the weight of your camera. Check Amazon and B&H Photo.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Thanks for the ideas but the Jolby is the type that sits too low for my taste. I'd rather not have something that I have to spend time figuring out where I am going to mount it. I also saw things on trekking pole use but yet again it comes to having to put together some setup or use it monopod style which would not work for me.

The Gecko does not look too bad but I don't like the idea of fixed legs.

I just don't understand why these tripods all weigh so much even when they are carbon fiber or titanium. The tripod I found is a Targus Tg-42TT.

On Amazon it says it weighs 2.2 pounds so they are wildly wrong and maybe that is the case with most of them which doesn't help me much. Even on Targus's website it says the TG-44T is 1 pound.

I'll just have to keep searching or be stuck with the Targus.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

For lightweight loads, I have a DIY tripod that is only about 6 ounces. Quite simple build: tiny table top tripod attached to a few old tent poles. You can shave off more weight by going carbon, but that's silly in my book.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=14867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is the original idea. It works well, I even used it with a D40 with kit lens and and a Canon HV20 camcorder, both much heavier than a point and shoot. Don't use it any longer because my camera gear keeps getting heavier. The legs are pretty strong, but that adjustable head can't support much weight and remain in the intended position.

Another drawback of the little DIY tripod is that it doesn't work too well for really long exposures, because the head is not absolutely rigid, nor does It set up very quickly unless you keep the shock cord in the poles, which adds weight. I didn't leave it in and used gaffer tape to keep them together. You can set it up without that, but it becomes extremely frustrating when one leg collapses before the next one is completely put up. Total cost is about $3 and poles from an old tent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... details&Q=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the tripod feet may or may not wedge into the poles tightly. I used gaffer tape to make them fit, while others used hotglue or epoxy. If I should ever use this again on a hike (first I need to buy a small camera), I will put shock cords through the legs.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

[quote="RoguePhotonic"]Thanks for the ideas but the Jolby is the type that sits too low for my taste.

Rogue, I am going thru the same process. I have a Joby, but find myself reluctant to use it, it is so very low to the ground, and inconvenient when you want to make adjustments, take different shots. I have a Sony tripod, that is supposed to weight 1.8 pounds, including head, but I need to weigh it on a scale, I think it weighs more, but it seemed to work ok last year. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCT-R100-Lig ... 8B5XBD5YCN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a Targus tripod 2x from Walmart in Bakersfield..it only weighs a pound, but don't bother, it broke on 2 different High Sierra trips...a total piece of junk.

Right now, I have it narrowed down to these 3 that I am trying to decide on to lower weight:

Ravelli w/head: http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT2-Wei ... HT5TYFCA7H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Amazon, this weighs a pound, but I have not been able to confirm. I might just buy the Ravelli, and weigh it,a and try it out, it is cheap enough.

Slik: 1.6 pounds w/head: http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Compact-II-T ... SMDXG6QWV3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This weight is accurate acc. to the Slik website. Kind of short, but maybe a compromise that might work.

Gitzo Mountaineer: This is no doubt the best quality of the ones I am looking at, but it weighs 1.8 pounds, and a head still needs to be added. The heads themselves can be quite heavy, but if I could find a light head, and it could really make that much of a difference in photos, I might consider it. http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GT0531-Seri ... XO366637E5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only have the weight of an Oly EM5 with wide angle lens to allow for, so I think that will help. I am also shopping camera bags, looking to shave weight and size of bag. For most trips, I will only carry one lens this year, and a couple of filters, spare battery, and spare SD card, so I don't need as big of a bag as I carried last year.

Regards
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

when I bring the big camera and have room for a tripod, I take a Benro C-058ex carbon tripod with a pretty small ballhead. under 2 pounds total, was dirt cheap on Amazon when they were blowing these out (like $100 or so)

In winter, I have a customized ice axe I can screw my camera into, using the top of it as tripod head, which may not be quite as nice, but beats carrying another 2 pounds.