Putting Maps on Walls | High Sierra Topix  

Putting Maps on Walls

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!

Putting Maps on Walls

Postby RoguePhotonic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 am

I have heard some of you say you put maps up on your walls. Do any of you draw lines on them to keep track of where you have gone?

Here is an example of 2 of mine. I think I have most of Sequoia covered. :D

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Putting Maps on Walls

Postby sparky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 pm

I did, while I didnt put lines on them, I had cross country passes numbered, and on the back I have all kinds of route info. It was a painstaking process. I also have the high route info in its entirety. Over the years I have lost a couple maps and some are needing replacement.

I loved having my walls covered with topos. Now that im not a batchlor i dont have sweat stained maps adorning my walls
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby rlown » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I've actually never put a map on a wall, but for a certain topo when I used to buy them, I'd highlight in yellow where i've been. Those are all in storage boxes in the garage. Also annotated specific spots with either triangulation info or whatever. Now, I print small cheater maps for the areas I'm hitting on a specific trip.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

I don't mark them up, but I do look at them and day dream.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Postby RoguePhotonic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:56 pm

I don't mind marking up those maps because I have a second set of the National Geographic maps I use for on trail. They are damn heavy though.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby sparky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 pm

i ended up putting up more maps than this too on these walls, and no pictures of the maps in the bathrooms. :cool:

2012-02-26_17-29-46_189.jpg
2012-02-26_17-29-22_902.jpg
2012-02-26_17-29-35_148.jpg
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby oldranger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:40 am

I have a SEKI map marked up with all the routes I took when a BC Ranger in the 80s. It is mounted on the huge door of my outdoor gear cabinet in the garage. Actually I need to add some more routes I have added in recent years. I probably should add a similar map for yosemite as I have yosemite pretty well covered over the years.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby Ikan Mas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm annotating all of my hike routes, marking the trails hiked and keeping my trail journal on the backside. With a Sharpie, the backside of Tom Harrison map provides a good tablet, with each panel worth about a day's hiking. The Sharpie is waterproof and won't rub off or smudge. Passes and camps also noted. My Whitney High Country Map actually looks like I know the area.

Rogue, I aspire to fill my maps up as you have. After reading the TR,seeing your maps explains everything!

This all said, I put myself in a tizzie earlier this year when I thought I had lost one of my maps, one with a journal on the back. The map was easily replaceable, but journal was not. As it turned out, it was just my 50+ eyes playing tricks on me. The map was in front of me all along. Makes me think I need to transcribe my journals to a safer medium. Also need to link them with my photos.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Putting Maps on Walls

Postby bheiser1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I don't have any maps on my walls, but am hoping to find a raised relief map of the Sierra (ideally showing the JMT) to put on my wall.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Postby fishmonger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 am

bheiser1 wrote:I don't have any maps on my walls, but am hoping to find a raised relief map of the Sierra (ideally showing the JMT) to put on my wall.

Doug Sr at the Whitney Hostel sells a Sierra raised relief map - rather large scale, but it is unique in being a satellite image rather than topo map coloring. Much cheaper at the hostel (I think I paid $22 in 2011) than online, but if you can't get there, here's the link:

http://www.summitmaps.com/Products/3D-O ... _0018.aspx

I am still looking for a frame to put it up in. Meanwhile, my hiking buddy uses it for route planning:

This guy is about 6 inches tall, just to show you how small things are. It's more a novelty than a map you can plan trips on.
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby SSSdave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 am

Done that for years. Somewhere read when Rowell began bagging peaks in the backcountry at one point covered a whole wall with Sierra topos. When analysing off trail routes will sometimes use ordinary #2 graphite pencils to mark routes and red arrows for potential photos. Especially useful in steeper areas because figuring out best routes is often rather subtle moving a wee bit left and right as one ascends a slope. And such is often not going to be obvious enroute by sight until it is too late. For very steep technical climbing terrain when topo lines are too close together to be useful, visual sight is often more productive but otherwise less steep routes like when carrying a pack, using the topo is much better than visual only. Example is White Bear Pass betwen Brown Bear Lake and White Bear Lake. But do not mark routes I've traveled on trails.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby Troutdog 59 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 pm

I never have, but my brother had most if not all of the JMT covered on his wall in High School. He used 15 min topos and marked his routes, camps, and trail heads used. Countless hours of gazing and trip prep! It was used long after he left home by me, but Mom finally said enough when I left at 19.

At my work someone used two of the John Muir Wilderness sets (3 maps per set) and thats on the wall. Nice decoration, but they frown on me/us staring at it for long :D .
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Next

Return to High Sierra Photography / Videography