CR2 file extension and conversion

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

CR2 file extension and conversion

Post by rlown »

Ok.. So this backpacking buddy sends me his pics from a July trip. Half of them are in .cr2 format, whatever that means. Bad enough he uses a mac, but i'm guessing this is a cannon thing.

What can I use for free to convert them over to more meaningful jpeg files?

Russ
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: CR2 file extension and conversion

Post by freestone »

Google .cr2 and you will come up with a free Google download to work with. Its' your buddy's raw camera image format. When you figure it out, make sure to share them. :)
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

It's a Canon raw image. The photos need to be processed using Canon's software or third-party software that can process .cr2 files. Do a google search to see if a free alternative comes up. Better yet, have your buddy process them in-camera and then email the processed images to you as jpegs. DNG is a more common format for raw files.

Mike
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Canon's Digital Photo Professional is what I use to convert those. It's sort of funny he would send them to you in raw format. Converting your files is just one of the extra steps if your going to shoot in raw.