Camp Shots

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camp Shots

Post by fishmonger »

July 4 morning above Sharktooth Creek heading up Goodale Pass

Camp above Sharktooth Creek
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Same camp as above, but the evening before
Camp near Sharktooth Creek
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Not many campsite photos during 2016. Below is a typical desert road trip camp:

Story:
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... 016-2.html

On desert road trips that are usually late winter, one does not have to deal with insects. Many nights I end up sleeping in the rear bed of my Forester since the rear seats fold down. However on pleasant clear moonless nights may enjoy watching our vast Universe. Then will plunk down a blue plastic tarp with my sleeping bag atop and various other gear at hands reach including books, maps, food, and drink. This spot was way up a rocky 4WD road with a large plain of dense yellow wildflowers and rusty red Paleozoic era mountains for a colorful backdrop. I'm parked in a wash channel just off that road that had many small wildflower species about.

Story:
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... html#jul16

The above was on day 2 of our 9 day Silver Divide backpack, on the north side of Bighorn Lake at 10900 feet. A good spot for dusk light across the lake waters.

Below was my spot in a cozy shady clump of whitebark pine south of lake 11280+ on my Dusy Basin 5-day backpack. Upper Dusy Basin landscapes are rather open thus not much privacy. However there are some nice spots IF one ventures closer to Columbine Peak and stays well away from the no name lakes or the usual route to Knapsack Pass. BA UL1 tent without the fly. That is my Osprey Talon 22 daypack at frame bottom that contains all my photo gear.

Story:
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... 16-15.html
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

one more from April 2013 on the Mountaineer's Route, this one higher up on the way to Iceberg Lake

Camp below Whitney East Face
hiac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hiac »

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

[rimg]Fishsticks.jpg[/rimg]
[rimg]Feet.JPG[/rimg]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

along the JMT below Duck Lake in Ansel Adams Wilderness near Mammoth, just about a week ago. There's a can with Got Mountains sticker in that image, too, but can't see it at this resolution

Alpinista55
Topix Novice

Post by Alpinista55 »

Tarp camping, Wanda Lake, Evolution Basin, 2016
IMG_5274.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alpinista55 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

I've camped many times in that exact spot, Alpinista55. That lake is a personal favorite of mine for childhood nostalgia reasons. Thanks for posting!

Beautiful as always, fishmonger! Need to learn to master the art of the back lit night shots. Really like those.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

ERIC wrote:I've camped many times in that exact spot, Alpinista55. That lake is a personal favorite of mine for childhood nostalgia reasons. Thanks for posting!

Beautiful as always, fishmonger! Need to learn to master the art of the back lit night shots. Really like those.
ha, simple to do: Put the Milky Way behind the trees (purely accidental in this shot), tripod, 25 seconds, but less with shorter focal lengths - this was 16mm fisheye and at 30 sec I can see the beginnings of star tracks. No moon in the sky at that time, but a slight glow on the horizon from Owens Valley. In the other direction, there's usually a strong yellow to green glow from the Central Valley, giving images in that direction quite a different look.