Convict Lake Sunrise

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Convict Lake Sunrise

Post by Mradford »

Here is one of my favorite shots from this past week camping at Convict Lake. Taken on my D700 with Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Convict Lake Sunrise

Post by maverick »

Nice. Pm sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

Nice! Looks familiar...LOL
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

thanks mike, haha yes it seems that that spot is quite a popular location to shoot from!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well you got decent calm at least at that outlet area behind those boat rocks. The larger a lake is the less likely it may become calm. Lakes with canyons above them also may have considerable cool sumping air flows by sunrise that will cause mini waves and Convict Canyon has a huge reservoir of cold inside its vast talus pile areas to feed that. Also Convict has a lot of happy trout that like to suck down bugs, rippling the surface waters.

Have exposed a fair amount of film on the lake's east shores at sunrise over the years but not anything too exciting and really even with the best conditions imaginable would not expect an exceptional image. The background is simply too far away so detail is vague and the cliff rises up high in the frame with not much sky to work with. But if a nearby 10 pound brown trout got frisky jumping up at a bug...

Easy to drive up there if there is nothing else going on so I'll be there again. The better sunrise illumination of the background is at the summer solstice when the sun rising over the Glass Mountain Range is less blocked by the ridge north of Mt Morrison. Also during most years earlier will have a better mix of snow and rock on Sevehah Cliff. In any case, generally I think the lake scene has more potential about an hour after sunrise from the sagebrush hill above the campground when the mule ears are blooming late June. That way one can also aim more north and get a good chunk of Morrison in the frame with less of the north ridge.
Ucdengboss
Topix Novice

Convict Lake Sunrise

Post by Ucdengboss »

Very nice photo. Well done. I love it when a lake looks like a sheet of glass as sunset!