Lenticular Cloud

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lenticular Cloud

Post by maverick »

Wikipedia: "Lenticular clouds (Altocumulus lenticularis) are stationary lens-shaped clouds
that form at high altitudes, normally aligned perpendicular to the wind direction.
Lenticular clouds can be separated into altocumulus standing lenticularis (ACSL)
stratocumulus standing lenticular (SCSL), and cirrocumulus standing lenticular (CCSL).
Due to their shape, they have been offered as an explanation for some Unidentified
Flying Object (UFO) sightings.
Where stable moist air flows over a mountain or a range of mountains, a series of
large-scale standing waves may form on the downwind side. If the temperature at the
crest of the wave drops to the dew point, moisture in the air may condense to form
lenticular clouds. As the moist air moves back down into the trough of the wave, the
cloud may evaporate back into vapor. Under certain conditions, long strings of lenticular
clouds can form near the crest of each successive wave, creating a formation known as
a "wave cloud." The wave systems cause large vertical air movements and so enough
water vapor may condense to produce precipitation."

These beautiful cloud formations are rare, and even more rarely do they materialize
in what one would describe as a photogenic moment.
While out on a trip a while back there was a big monsoonal wave from the south
converging with a system coming in from the west that had potential for producing
some of these cloud formations and luckily one did though only lasting a few minutes
before torn apart by the wind sheer.
This is a stunning 30" x 60" b&w panorama, titled " Lenticular by Moonlight ".
http://wildernessapertures.com/img/s10/ ... 0221-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Lenticular Cloud

Post by The Other Tom »

Mav, I get a lock screen when I click on the link
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Same here
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I love Sierra Waves. Back in '95, I witnessed a beautifully formed wave over North Pal. while camping on the west side. Unfortunately, the picture did not turn out well.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Cool photo...although to see it I had to go to your website :D

Ladd
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry folks, Zenfolio sometimes has issues, try now. :rolleyes: Thanks

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

maverick wrote:Sorry folks, Zenfolio sometimes has issues, try now. :rolleyes: Thanks
Nope. Can't view it. :crybaby:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WTH. :mad: Try it now Mike, please.

tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Still says locked
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, if I learned how to type correctly things would have been right the first time. :retard: