Day Trip - Eastern Sierra Sunday May 28th (5 pics)

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
ifernau
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Day Trip - Eastern Sierra Sunday May 28th (5 pics)

Post by ifernau »

I rented a passenger car this weekend to take a couple of short day trips. It is Memorial Day Weekend and snow was NOT on my mind. On Sunday I started my tour over the Sonara Pass late (6:30AM), because of reports of some snow fall on Saturday and I wanted a daylight view of Hwy 108. It was a little cooler than I would imagine for Memorial Day, however the sky was clear blue (at first anyway). :cool:
I made my way over the pass and once over it a few thunder clouds showed up. Stopped in Bishop to pick up 3 lbs of peppered beef jerkey at Meadow Farms. Drove all the way to South Lake and took a few images of the very low lake. Very windy up there and had fun watching some kids sliding down the snow on the rocky slopes.
The weather plot began to thicken towards the east, clouds increased exponentially and it became clear that a storm was rolling in. Could not leave without stopping at Rock Creek Lake. The wind up here blew a few snow flurries on me. Took a few images of the approaching storm; looked really cool.
Then it was time to make my way back to the Sonora Pass. When I got to the Tioga Pass turn off, a storm was over Mono Lake and I could not pass up the photo op. I drove up to the overlook above the Whoa Nellie Deli. Really windy now, but I got a good shot. Stopped one more time at the Mono Lake Vista point along Hwy 395; huge wind gusts….
Now I became a little worried crossing the Sonara Pass with my little rental car (I usually rent an Explorer, but NO, this time I took advantage of a free rental day!!!). The weather looked pretty bad once I got close to the pass. Called my daughter to let here know I might end up staying in Minden or so, but then my crazy sense of adventure took hold of me and I took a risk. I was hoping, since I saw some blue sky in the distant, that the storm was not lasting long. I also thought that the snow would melt on the road as long as the sun was up. Once climbing on the pass I hit some rain, but at the Leavitt Falls overlook it hailed, rained and snowed. I had a Chevy Tahoe in front and another SUV behind me. For a moment I thought I should turn around, but the hail and snow came in short gusts. So I pressed on further up the pass. At some point the Chevy Tahoe pulled over and let me pass, I have no idea why, but so I lead the pack of by now 4 vehicles. After I got up to 8000 ft there were patches of snow slush, but the car did not slip. :lol:
For some reason I thought I was close to the top, at 8000 ft, ha ha, not a chance. Somebody was watching over me and I did get a break in the storm and only had to climb up the wet road (at 10 miles/hr). Finally made it to the top of pass at 9628 feet in one piece. Here comes my sigh of big relieve… :crybaby:
Now it was only downhill and the road became drier by the mile. The first pullout I found I stopped to let the other vehicles pass, and to take another deep breath. Once along the Kennedy Meadows campground, the road was dry.

Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Beautiful pics.. especially love the 2nd one.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Inge, you really take some great pics! :eek:
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Great photos Inge! Sounds like some crazy weather
wingding

Post by wingding »

Very beautiful pictures! Nice to hear that you were able to drive all the way to South Lake - that road must have just opened all the way recently.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Great shot of Mono Lake! We in the clear area behind Mono Craters but north of Glass Mtn (last photo) both Sat & Sun. We had blue skies but were surrounded by storms and clouds!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Great shots! I really love the second one! :D
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Fantasic shots! I especially love the Mono Lake storm one! Whew baby!