Where is this?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Where is this?

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Anyone know where this is taken from (and what the area is) and who took it? I pulled it off the web somewhere as research for a trip I'm taking this summer with friends and neglected to indicate where exactly it is. And I'd like to give credit where credit is due. Beautiful shot. Thanks in advance.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where is this?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Normally I am good with guessing locations like this but this one has me stumped. My first guess would be some where around Mineral King but I cannot place it. I think there is software that allows you to input images like this and it can tell you were it is but I don't know what it is.
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

My trip that I have planned is thru Palisade Basin, Dumbell Lakes and Lake Basin. Hope that helps.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

From Palisade Basin...and here's the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25974668@N ... 044869@N00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, new the location, but cheated to find the image :D (used Tineye ).
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

That is a great photo indeed!!! I will admit to not being able to ID the location, but it did looked familiar. Turns out I've been to both the lakes in the foreground (Barret Lakes) and up Catarack Creek in the distance. We didnt cross Cataract pass due to a huge snow wall, but it was worth going up to Amphitheater Lake none the less. I will give myself a little bit of a break for not being able to ID the pic. as it was some 32 years ago (1979) that I gazed upon this view. I actually have an old pic my brother took of me looking over the same canyon towards Mt. Shakespear and Observation Peak at sunset as we camped at the unnamed lake a little further east on Glacier Creek. Thanks for stirring up the memories and enjoy your trip.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Thank you soooo much! What a grand view to look forward to.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I thought those walls were the ones along Amphitheater Lake but it looked so close I didn't think it could have been taken from Palisade Basin. Knowing the MM of an image helps.

Hopefully I will be traveling this area also this summer!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Hope to run into you! I'm a 6'1" "blond". You can't mistake me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi SM

I got caught up with other things, and was looking for a photo of that ridge behind
Amphitheater Lake to post with my answer, but I see Copeg has all ready given you
the answer.
Make sure you spend some time in Amph Basin it will be one of your highlites, as will
Marion Lake in Lakes Basin.
Here is an older shot of that ridge close up in the photo, and Amph Lake below it:
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v15/p748761858-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Whoa Nellie!! Gorgeous. Is that the route to the pass on the right?