Best Photo of 2010 contest - Discussion

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best Photo of 2010 contest - Discussion

Post by markskor »

Enter as many times as you want/think apt...more the merrier!
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hikin Mike wrote:Some "contests" require anonymity (no watermarks), that's all.
You should know by now Mike, we live under a rock 'round here. ;)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

hikerchick395 wrote:I believe that you can only include one attachment per post? Correct?
Nope. Incorrect. After adding your first attachment, you should be presented with an option to add more to the same post. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

Thanks Eric, for info (and understanding my question :) )
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

rlown wrote:The "contests" here never required anonymity (site doesn't support that anyway). One puts forth their best work and let it fly. If you don't wanna post it or post it with a watermark, who cares. Do it in the way you feel comfortable.
My photo host (smugmug) lets me apply a watermark to all my photos, which I do. Mostly because I allow external linking and if someone *does* choose to randomly embed one of my photos somewhere I'd like my name attached. Problem is that when I embed them elsewhere I don't have a choice - it shows up automatically.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I love the Granite park sunrise. Very nice. I have one of Humphreys at sunset kinda like that, but yours is very much on fire.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Thanks - that one probably has the best story too. We had entered from Pine Creek that morning to weird weather - it was a late weekend in august and the conditions were just weird. Clouds were flying through and the wind was blasting - they were blowing through so fast they didn't have time to build into storms, though it looked like all hell was ready to break loose all day long. We had a cold and windy night in Granite Park and I awoke the next morning to this site, the last wisps of clouds hanging above feather peak. It was still windy as heck and I ran back to my sleeping bag after snapping a few shots. But the weather finally became 'normal' just about the time we hit Italy Pass and started up Julius Caesar. I've rarely had conditions improve like that as I've gotten closer to a summit. :D It was a memorable day in terms of sierra weather, one of the most memorable I've had. Here are the photos from the first weird-weather day that finally ended in those sunrise clouds.

Hmm, that was the trip where I met mokolumnekid somewhere around Feather Pass.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so, HST has over 1800 registered users, and most backpack, peak bag, fish, and some are professional photographers.. i'd bet even 60% carry cameras. I'd also bet that most were out there last year.

Why not more entries?

Wondering,

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Gosh, I actually agree with Russ. Last time we had this contest there were a bunch of entrants, many from professional and semi professionals. Selecting the best was incredibly hard to do. Hiking Mike, Maverick, Mountaineer,sssdave, etc. come on!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

calipidder wrote:Thanks - that one probably has the best story too. We had entered from Pine Creek that morning to weird weather - it was a late weekend in august and the conditions were just weird. Clouds were flying through and the wind was blasting - they were blowing through so fast they didn't have time to build into storms, though it looked like all hell was ready to break loose all day long. We had a cold and windy night in Granite Park and I awoke the next morning to this site, the last wisps of clouds hanging above feather peak. It was still windy as heck and I ran back to my sleeping bag after snapping a few shots. But the weather finally became 'normal' just about the time we hit Italy Pass and started up Julius Caesar. I've rarely had conditions improve like that as I've gotten closer to a summit. :D It was a memorable day in terms of sierra weather, one of the most memorable I've had. Here are the photos from the first weird-weather day that finally ended in those sunrise clouds.

Hmm, that was the trip where I met mokolumnekid somewhere around Feather Pass.
Calipidder, I was in Royce Lakes Basin on that weird cold and windy day, and have a shot of the same morning clouds shot at the base of Feather Peak. Later that day we climbed Italy pass and saw you climbing Mt. Julius Caeser. The next day we ran into you in Bear Lakes Basin. We were the guys swimming in Vee lake! It is a small world up in the Sierra.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;