Best Photo of 2010 contest - Discussion

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best Photo of 2010 contest - Discussion

Post by rlown »

so, you won't post a pic, but you will criticize those that do? nice.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

rlown wrote:so, you won't post a pic, but you will criticize those that do? nice.
I neither posted nor critiqued on your thread. As noted on other boards I have done considerable critiquing at levels that make some others uncomfortable. And have posted a great many images on this board. My post doesn't suggest others not post or participate but rather gives reason why I didn't personally post on the "contest" thread because questions above were wondering why some of us did not, thankyou. As for your thread, I would encourage others on this board to participate and have fun and I'll be content just to enjoy looking at some of the images.

David
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

don't really care if you chose not to participate. Your diatribe makes it clear. This is not a commercial site.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I personally really enjoy the contest and just posting photos in general. I have allot of photos I anyway think are nice and I enjoy putting them out there for others to enjoy. Nature photography is more often then not being in the right place at the right time then actual skill.

I don't mind critics at all. I look back through allot of stuff on my FlickR and think "what the hell was I thinking" with some post processing I did. But I am lazy and slow to correct the mistakes.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rlown wrote: Your diatribe makes it clear...
David "...That is in part due to the impersonal nature of the Internet that would be different if people were discussing things person to person in groups..."

Exactly! The issue that often arises is a lack of understanding of the tone intended to be communicated even in a well crafted honest piece, when a distant reader injects their personal emotion into what they are reading without giving the writer enough benefit of the doubt. Productive discussions on the web are sometimes difficult even between intelligent well meaning people thus there is wisdom in taking a wide considerate latitude on interpretations.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

soo, why are you here if you don't participate in a positive way? some, or most of us understand the internet..

Seriously, you make this out to be a place you don't want to be but here you are..
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

rlown wrote:you guys are kinda taking the fun out of a friendly semi-annual contest.. :(

It's not about who is better, it's about what do you like..
personally, i like all the pictures that get posted on this website.
i like seeing places that i have never been to and different vantage points at okaces that i have been to.

didn't mean to take the fun out of it for ya - sorry.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've seen a LOT of great pics this year. I'm hopeful there will be a 2011 contest as well.

Russ
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Oops, I didn't even see the 2010 contest or I would have submitted a few of my (admittedly amateur) photographs for perusal and enjoyment.

Just an opinion, but I think some of the professional photographers might see entering a contest like this as no-win scenario. Win, and it's just an informal photo contest on a forum that's not centered around photography. Lose, or fail to make a qualifying round, and it's a bit of a hit to one's pride or respect for the contest, especially if the photo that won or beat yours out is less impressive in terms of technique, lighting, or composition. That leaves the rest of us, and sadly I think a lot of people who frequent the Backpacking or Fishing boards don't venture too far into the other forums.

If the point is mainly to share photos of beautiful places with others who share our interests, then the photothons seem to do a great job of this (look at how many pictures were posted on the last one!).