I bought a new camera

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
wingding

I bought a new camera

Post by wingding »

I ordered an Canon S80 and it's coming in the mail. It's another point and shoot, but I'm hoping it's better than the one I've been using.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm getting the S80 too, just have to get my butt in gear and order it (birthday present). It wasn't available when I dropped my S70 in the creek and had to order another one (Sept), so now we will have 2 new cameras! The Canon Powershots are great cameras, as long as you don't keep dropping them (like me). :retard:
wingding

Post by wingding »

SN - I've noticed how nice your pictures look - that's one of the reasons I looked at the Canon S cameras. I thought that I'd be able to buy the S70 for a bargain price when the S80 came out but it wasn't much cheaper for the S70; so I went with the newer S80. It's that wide angle lens that I'm really excited about getting.
cycleclimb
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by cycleclimb »

The battery life of the S series is better than other cameras I've used.
wingding

Post by wingding »

It came today. The battery is charging.

Thanks for the info on the battery cycleclimb. I can't afford to buy a second battery yet, so I'm hoping I'll be okay with one battery for now. I have to go buy a 1GB SD Memory card as it is. I have Sony Memory Sticks now because I have a couple Sony cameras and a Konica Minolta. The Sony's are pretty good cameras. The Konica Minolta just doesn't take that great of pictures - I bought it because the 5 mp Sony was in the repair shop and I needed a camera. I should have just used the old 2 mp Sony until the newer one came back. When the Sony came back from being repaired (for free) my son snatched it and I've been stuck with the 6 mp Konica Minolta and poor quality pictures.

I can't wait to try out the new Canon.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I can't wait to try out the new Canon.
Can't go wrong there! Looking forward to the "new" pictures... :D
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Cool Kathy!

Do a search for your canon battery on e-bay...I bought two extra (after market) batteries for $25 ....I have been using them for close to two years with no problems what so ever. Mine came directly from Hong Kong.
wingding

Post by wingding »

thanks WW - I'll check ebay.

I'm going to bring the new camera along on our hike to Owen's Peak tomorrow. There are some pictographs up there Indian Wells Canyon that I want to get some shots of. I'll probably leave the settings on automatic tomorrow and see how the pictures turn out that way.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I bought a 512 SD memory card today. $29 for a 512 and $89 for a 1GB - didn't make sense to me. I'll buy a 1GB one when I see a better deal. Only 140 pictures with 512.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

1 GB $59.95

There you go Kathy :)
James and I have both bought memory from these guys before.