Matthes Crest

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Matthes Crest

Post by maverick »

Sometimes you take a picture, and it touches your soul, and you hope it makes
others folks say,"WOW".
Obviously I want to make money with my photo's, but seeing people wish they were
there with you seeing that special moment after setting up the scene verbally, and then
seeing there reaction to your photo is just as gratifying too me.
I posted a version of this before, but this is the shot that folks see, and say '"Ansel Adams
like", and though I say "thank you for the complement", I say that "it is more Peter
Agoston like".
I was on the ridge near the northern start of Matthes Crest, which to those of you
into rock climbing it is considered a shrine.
There were thunderheads moving towards my position from the Clark Range skirting
both sides of Matthes Crest.
As the rain started to fall in the distance, which makes the left side of the photo kind of
look misty, and adds an extra dimension to the photo, a black cloud from the west came
in skirting the peak of Matthes Crest adding another layer of intrigue to the photo.
Look how the ridge of Matthes Crest leads ones eye right into the cloud, natures
gift to a photographer.
The lightening, and thunderclaps were getting closer so I took several shots, broke
down my tripod, and zoomed down the gully towards Echo Lake, and 10 min's latter
it opened up with several thunderclaps, lightening, and hail towards the ridge I had
just stood 10 min's ago.
At my recent show this photo was a big hit.
These are 16x24 Double Float Metal Prints on a satin surface that are raised 3/8" off a
20x25" Metal Print with rounded edges.
The aluminum sheets are archival, scratch resistant, water, and weatherproof, and
can be cleaned with glass cleaner.
They look very classy, and modern at the same time.
If anyone is interested in putting one of these beautiful pieces of art on your wall
PM me.
Enjoy
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p857985435-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Matthes Crest

Post by mokelumnekid »

Wow what a story and what a shot! Fantastic! I've sat out a thunderstorm at Matthes Lake and have been over that Echo Col saddle many times. I've done the Crest climb, but your view is the finish of the north segment which is largely unprotected. I've climbed the southern segment, it's a blast, but haven't the nerve for the northern segment.

Amazing shot Maverick- thanks for sharing it with us.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your welcome MK.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

That's a really nice one Peter. Love the perspective looking down the crest towards the summit, and what light.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Greg.
Any exhibitions at Stanford this year.
copeg

Post by copeg »

maverick wrote:Any exhibitions at Stanford this year.
Nope. Haven't had the time these days to hunt down and try to get any show locations