Which camera should I get for backpacking?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Which camera should I get for backpacking?

Post by justm »

I enjoy taking photos on my backpack trips in the sierras. I'm a point and shoot guy so far but I want to go to the next step, manual and raw. I don't want to lug around a full SLR, so I've narrowed it down to : Canon S90 v.s Panasonic DMC LX3, I'm leaning towards the LX3 because of wide angle. Anybody who knows these cameras, pros and cons? Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Which camera should I get for backpacking?

Post by maverick »

Hi Justm

Welcome to HST.
Try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you will find many reviews of different
cameras with descriptions, ratings, and sample galleries.
Also in the "Canon Talk" and "Panasonic" forum you can find peoples questions and inputs
about models that may also be helpful in making your decision.
Hope that helps. M
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks Maveric, I've looked at that site, very helpful. If anyone has and uses either of these cameras, I'd like to know what they think, thanks
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

Justm... I assume you have made your decision but for the sake of putting an answer to your question. I got the Lumix LX3 last summer to generally replace always lugging around my slr, and it is by far the best point and shoot i have ever dealt with. Great lens, great aspect ratio/picture format. And above all it has a user interface that makes it an actual useful tool for someone who wants to take a certain amount of control over the picture taking process. Most point and shoots make it nearly impossible to smoothly navigate through a manual or even aperture/shutter priority setting. The LX3 has a simple and effective exposure control that doesnt take entering menus to change. Its simply a great camera that gives you enough quality while still being small enough not to send you cursing its existence whist carrying it up that next slog.

Patrick
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I am using a Canon Powershot SD800 which was a couple of years old when I bought it.
My requirements were 28mm wide angle equivalent and optical viewfinder. I find it
very hard to use any LCD only camera in full sun at high altitude. The Canon G series
still have the optical view finder but I find them larger than I want to carry.

I would love to have my full DSLR set with me sometimes when I see a great vista.
However I can't imaging carrying even my 40D with a single good lens on more
than an overnight. I am amazed when I see guys with DSLRs on places like the
JMT. I am sure their pictures look great though.
Jeff
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

There are def some great point and shoots out there. It hardly seems worth it to carry as DSLR but still do for trips that I consider photop-trips (like Glacier, Alaska, and soon to be Yosemite).

If I were doing a thru where mileage was key I would def go with a point and shoot. If I'm taking my time and soaking it in, I will take my good stuff (Canon 5d Mark II with a 17-40 lens). I hate the weight but just suck it up.