Print-On-Demand book review link

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Print-On-Demand book review link

Post by maverick »

This article should help finding the right Print-On-Demand book company:
http://sharpernewyork.blogspot.com/2009 ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Print-On-Demand book review link

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the link. From the ratings, it looks like Apple is the best bang for the buck, followed closely by Adorama.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

great find, I didn't know half these companies, and based on a quick scan, I'd probably use Bayphoto or A&I for my next project. Bang for the buck isn't what I am after, but large lay-flat binding and good quality. Prices are rather steep compared to Blurb and others. Apple doesn't go over 100 pages, which kills that for me.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

took a closer look at BayPhoto, because they allow large books to be done in hinged lay-flat binding, the one thing I don't like too much about Blurb.

A book that costs $80 on Blurb would cost $248 at Bayphoto in layflat, otherwise almost identical, same indigo printer printing technology. Bayphoto gives you dinky photoshop templates to use for each pair of pages, no custom software that will reflow pages if you insert text, etc. Much harder to make a book there, but if you need absolute quality and lay-flat, it probably is what you need to deal with. I'm sure professionals just do the layout in some Adobe Page layout product and export to these template sizes. The folks that reviewed these books seem to be more on the printing geek end of things based on the comments at the bottom. Hard to tell what they rated, but it probably was more the book quality than the creation tools needed.