Supporting HST Photographers

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Supporting HST Photographers

Post by maverick »

Hello Fellow HST Members,

Bring this topic up with some hesitance.
Since being a member since 2006, only a handful of HST members have inquired
about purchasing my photo's.
Thought that posting 100's of pictures over the years on HST, that members
would enjoy my work, and then some of you would be interested in purchasing some
of these beautiful prints of our beloved Sierra.
There are numerous photographers on this board who have been contributing there
beautiful photo's for years, and have websites like Copeg, SSSdave, Windwalker, and
Hikin Mike, to name a few.
We all strive to bring you the best quality photo's/prints we can of the most beautiful
place in the world, our Sierra!
Many of us spend days scouting an area to find the ideal location, endure the most
inclement weather to get the most dramatic colors, and these conditions warrant
dedication from a photographer.
Please take your time in supporting your fellow HST photographers by remembering
that some of us do make a partial living/income from our work.
We all spend hundreds of dollars a year on backpacking gear which wears out or
breaks down in a year or two, why not purchase a piece of art that will last for
decades, brings you joy, and fond memories of the place you love, while supporting
one of your dedicated HST photographers.

Thanks
Mav
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Supporting HST photographer members

Post by SteveB »

I agree, Mav, and think it's important for community members to support fellow members when they can. I have seen a number of images from folks like yourself and WW, to name a couple, that I wouldn't mind seeing hanging framed on my wall after a long day in the office.

However, sometimes it's kinda difficult to locate galleries and/or shops for those of us here that want to offer our art for sale, and we can get discouraged in searching for same. May I suggest (Eric, you listening? :cool: ) that we set up an informal gallery that contains links to the photographer's personal galleries and direct links to be able to purchase those items? For your own pieces, I would love to be able to purchase a good sized print of one of your Mono Lake shots popularized in print some months back! :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks SteveB for your support, and the idea of a "for sale gallery" was bought to my
attention by another member.
I'll see if this is something Eric would support, though as I mentioned before I do not
like to impose on folks, but would rather have them initiate the idea, especially it
being Eric's site.
Maybe he'll chime in now that he has read this.
It would be great if our fellow photographers would also express there thoughts on
this subject, I know I am not the only one here who would like my prints in such a
HST for sale gallery.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Sounds like a great idea. I'm always looking for ways to spread the word about my work. For now, I have a link to my website in my signature. :cool:
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Is there a particular gallery script out there that any of you feel might achieve your goal? It's been a while since I've looked to see what's out there (gallery scripts). Depending on what we can come up with, yes, I'll entertain the idea of promoting your works on HST. Of course, I'd have to put some strict rules/prerequisites for who would be eligible and how. I only promote those who are established contributors on these forums.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

ERIC wrote:Is there a particular gallery script out there that any of you feel might achieve your goal? It's been a while since I've looked to see what's out there (gallery scripts). Depending on what we can come up with, yes, I'll entertain the idea of promoting your works on HST. Of course, I'd have to put some strict rules/prerequisites for who would be eligible and how. I only promote those who are established contributors on these forums.
I would think a page of links would be enough for me. I would think most photographers have some type of website already. Just provide a website/gallery link.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

A newbe's two cents; a list of webpage links and perhaps a "signature" image from each artist.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I guess my thought would be to have a gallery where people could maybe upload
1-2 pictures, and also have a link to there a website.
Also maybe have an artist of the month or quarter, depending on the amount of
participants, where a photographers pictures are show cased.
You could tie this into your photo contest where the winner gets to have his/her work
shown for a quarter.
My thing is that I do not want to make this to difficult for you Eric, so maybe if you put
something together knowing what your boundaries are, I am sure it will be just fine, but
I would still appreciate some more people chiming in with some alternate ideals, like
Copeg, who has experience in web designing, and may have some technical input too.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I like the idea of promoting HST photographers :D . A gallery sounds intriguing, but like Eric feel that a gallery needs to be tightly screened, and the software would need to be tried and tested as well as easily customizable (I believe something like that was the possible reason for HST being hacked several years back). Many HST photographers already have websites, and might prefer a link page rather than a gallery (I think I fall into that category). I like John's idea of a link page containing perhaps a description or photographers statement with a few images and a link. I also think that other categories could be included depending on the situation, such as giantbrookie's fishing page (should he find a way to keep it online). One problem with a page like that however, is in the end it might turn into a link repository which more often than not are visited by search engines as opposed to people.
Another possibility, is to create some comprehensive tools or information pages that include maps, articles, and/or trip reports. One could say the forums provide this, but things do get lost within the mix. It would not only be informative, but also include links for others but serve as landing pages for web searches. But unfortunately this is the opposite extreme of a link page in that it would most likely need to be maintained on a regular basis.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

copeg wrote:I like the idea of promoting HST photographers :D . A gallery sounds intriguing, but like Eric feel that a gallery needs to be tightly screened, and the software would need to be tried and tested as well as easily customizable (I believe something like that was the possible reason for HST being hacked several years back).
I like the idea of a basic gallery as well. But like you point out, the main reason I've been reluctant to add too much in the way of extra scripts and mods to the site is because it does indeed offer up more opportunities for hackers to find their way in. The photo album script we used to have was an add-on to our forums script, but was not designed by the same people who created the forums script. It was later discovered that the gallery had security issues, and because of that, I'm fairly confident that's how the hackers broke in and ruined us.
copeg wrote:Many HST photographers already have websites, and might prefer a link page rather than a gallery (I think I fall into that category). I like John's idea of a link page containing perhaps a description or photographers statement with a few images and a link. I also think that other categories could be included depending on the situation, such as giantbrookie's fishing page (should he find a way to keep it online). One problem with a page like that however, is in the end it might turn into a link repository which more often than not are visited by search engines as opposed to people.
I think what you might be envisioning (at least something that might fit the bill) is a categorized directory. There are scads of directories on the interwebs that serve as nothing more than, as you call them, "links repositories". IMO, it's all about how you market the directory, and how well you maintain a specific scope, that determines whether or not the directory becomes a useful resource visited by flesh-and-blood people. I used to have such a directory on one of the older versions of the site, and it seemed to work well. I believe I marketed it as "The High Sierra Yellow Pages" (or something like that) and I was extremely picky about what sites were added to it - Sierra Nevada-related sites, only.
copeg wrote:Another possibility, is to create some comprehensive tools or information pages that include maps, articles, and/or trip reports. One could say the forums provide this, but things do get lost within the mix. It would not only be informative, but also include links for others but serve as landing pages for web searches. But unfortunately this is the opposite extreme of a link page in that it would most likely need to be maintained on a regular basis.
This is pretty much my favorite idea, but I have yet to find an appropriate script for laying it out the way I want - and one that also has proven security features.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix