Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Post by John Dittli »

Hey Mountaineer, sorry I missed your reply over on the Hunter vs colors thread. Sounds like you've come and gone.

The weather blew out most of the leaves that had frozen in the previous storm. There are still a lot of green leaves around though. Good color coming in right here in Little Round Valley. Round Valley is just starting.

It's really a mixed up fall this year. The low here at 7,200' was 42 last night. Still some color to come up the canyons I'm guessing.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted

Post by STRETCHMAN »

I just got back from Yosemite Valley. The after visiting the Eastside at the begining of the month with mixed results I found the valley alive with color. Starting at the Arch Rock entrance the Broad Leaf Maple trees are glowing. Up through the Merced canyon, all along South side drive, especially pretty just east of Cathedral rocks, into Illilouette canyon, and up the Mist trail to Vernal falls the trees are a bright yellow/Gold. I would not normally stop at the bridge to take a shot of Vernal falls but right now would be a great time to do so as the Maples are colorful from the bridge all the way to the falls(get there prior to the sun coming up or after the sun is behind Glacier Point).
There are a couple of Aspens in the Yosemite Lodge area that have turned and make a good frame for shoting the falls. The Black Oak trees dont look like they have started to change yet nor the Dogwoods that I saw.

P.S. I t was dark when I drove by, but I have heard that Lee Vining cayon has turned and is looking nice right now. :D
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Spent a rainy day up in the Mono Basin yesterday. Some ok colors starting to pour out the canyons.
I put up a few more shots here http://dittli.wordpress.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Wow John! that is some awesome stuff. You have a medium or large format, don't you?

This shot is amazing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

This coming weekend is looking more promising with aspen once again coming into color and on western slopes Pacific dogwood and big leaf maple also early in color change. Additionally there may be bright high clouds moving across the trailing dome of high pressure over the Sierra as the a front pushes through the Northwest Monday with its tail across the Sierra. Thinking may put my money down on moving west on SR-4 from Saturday sunrise, overnight roadside down in the Carson drainage and then Sunday move north on SR-89 and west on SR-88.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hey Jody thanks. Yesterday was a really beautiful day.

Yes, I (used) to shoot with a 4x5 and a 645 but I haven't picked either one up in about 6 months. I'm now pretty much a digital convert shooting the Canon 5d Mark II. Saves a lot of painstaking time in front of the scanner. Not to mention way lighter in the backcountry!

John
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I just ordered Sigma's 10-20mm for my SD-14. We'll see if it helps at all. :)

This is one of my favorite areas. Took these last year. Where is it?

John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Nice shots.
Well let's see. I'm just going to say south of Lee Vining and north of Mammoth :cool:

JD
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

mountaineer wrote:This is one of my favorite areas. Took these last year. Where is it?
View is better if one gets out and walks above the end of the jeep road to the little sagebrush knob, topo point 8251. If one hits that spot at peak there are actually lots of nice orange foliage aspen on those slopes. Usually the backdrop of Mt W is however mediocre as it is too dark. Thus optimal situation would be to be there the morning after such a snow dusting.
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted

Post by STRETCHMAN »

Mt Wood? :partyman: