Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Post by SSSdave »

Much colder storm now set to bear down on the Sierra Friday night into early next week also making for very gusty conditions. Storm is more an inside slider into the Nevada Great Basin so there is not apt to be much precip south of I80 unless forecast changes occur. I can handle the cold but avoid windy conditions so will bail on a 2-day road trip this weekend and instead will hope to get a 3-day trip in the following weekend. Pretty futile trying to take highly detailed tree and leaf images with winds moving everything. OK for pun web sized pics. Also if it snows, leaves atop snow can be nice for closeups, but not worth a long road trip for just that. More likely to cause leaf color damage than the last storm.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Oh well there goes my weekend jaunt to the woods.
I saw the snow and the wind in the forecast, and like Dave, I can handle the cold but
wind is a photographers worst enemy.
Hopefully the lower elevation leaves will survive without to much damage though I am not
banking on it.
I will be honest in that our fall colors are pretty weak when compared to that of the
East, though the mountains are a nice touch here, but Conn, NH, Vermont, Maine are
just so much more colorful.
I have looked at several hundred photo's made in the Sierra, and though some very nice
they just do not speak to me as the ones from the East coast.
When I was in the Marines I did a Fall color road trip while stationed in North Carolina
back in the 80's, up and down the coast for 12 days, and I have never seen anything that
comes remotely close that, I guess I got spoiled.
I hope to make a road trip out east next year to quench my yearning for some fall colors.
Two things I miss from the Sierra is wildlife and fall colors, otherwise it is the perfect
place for me.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

maverick wrote: I will be honest in that our fall colors are pretty weak when compared to that of the
East, though the mountains are a nice touch here, but Conn, NH, Vermont, Maine are
just so much more colorful.
I have looked at several hundred photo's made in the Sierra, and though some very nice
they just do not speak to me as the ones from the East coast.

I hope to make a road trip out east next year to quench my yearning for some fall colors.
Two things I miss from the Sierra is wildlife and fall colors, otherwise it is the perfect
place for me.
Hey Maverick, just to whet your appetite....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Tom

I have not been there, but I have seen some great fall colors in Great Smokey NP.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

We were just up Bishop Creek today. Still some nice color up at the lakes but the freeze is burning many of the leaves. Still a lot of green lower in the canyons though.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

September 19, Sawmill Meadow below Sawmill Pass - about as fall-colored as thing got during that week up there

John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

last week in the Cathedral Range
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not sure if this counts as "Fall photography", but at 7150' in the Trinity's at Ward lake on 9/28-9/29, we got an inch of snow over two days:
P9290059.JPG
P9300063.JPG
Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Just returned today from a four-day trip to the east side. Covered nearly every canyon from Bridgeport to Lone Pine. Absolutely nothing from Lee Vining north save for very few yellows in Lundy Canyon. Virgina Lakes was mostly green. Twin Lakes was a big bummer, barely starting to turn a few yellows. The first decent color I found was June Lake loop. Probably a few days away from peak. The road to Sabrina had some decent color but Sabrina itself had already shed. McGee Creek was just a few yellows, mostly green. Rock Creek was weird, a few greens and yellows but some trees completely missing leaves, go figure. Not one single yellow leaf was to be found in Whitney Portal.

Basically, from Lee Vining north it is at least 1-2 weeks away from peak. Lee Vining south is at least a few days to 1+ weeks away. Even the Parker Lake road area was a complete bore.

Of course, the storm blowing in the next few days will change all those predictions dramatically.
Last edited by mountaineer on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks Mountaineer, that makes me feel better now about not giving into my restlessness and wasting gas and weekend time. Everything pointed to what you reported so I stayed home yet another weekend. If few people are offering reports of any type during the peak fall period, one can be sure its because it sukks about everywhere because there are always a lot of people out regardless of reports. If it was worthy, some of them would likely chime in. And of course the few reports last week like those from Inge were rather negative. I'm still hoping to get out if I hear some positiive enough. There is a long range forecast that a weak storm may brush the area next weekend, and that would be fine in order to get better diffuse lighting from clouds. Pretty soon the Pacific dogwood ought to start showing color in west slope areas like Big Trees.