Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Post by maverick »

I was thinking about doing a run next weekend, by all accounts things should be peaking
next weekend, if, and this is a big if anything is left after this storm coming in on Monday
from the Gulf of Alaska leaves any leaves on the trees!
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone get out for any Fall photography yet?

Post by SteveB »

Wow, already??!! Up here around Tahoe the change has barely started. I was hoping to run out to the Carson/Iceberg area south of Tahoe this weekend to see how it's coming along. It's been warmer than usual this year compared to last five that I've lived in Reno, so the usual groves aren't turning very fast.

Let us know how it looks out there, Mav! I'm hoping to get down to the east side next weekend or the week after.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well todays NOAA forcast has revised it's forecast and it looks as though the predicted
storm will not be affecting us, though temps will be dropping.
Hopefully things will stay calm for next week so the leaves can reach there peaks colors
by the weekend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I entertained that thought for the current weekend but unlike the last few years when I wasn't tied down with a job and could stay all week, the idea of making that long drive from the SF Bay Area over to the eastside for just the weekend was unappealing. Would have been a two day whirlwind tour under boring sunny skies, while spending $100 just for gas, and ending up very road weary. Inge sent a post to calphoto with a link that pretty much summed up the conditions as ho hum. For the experienced during the early period as this weekend, there are good though obscure places to visit well away from roads in the higher areas. But I'd rather work those spots over several days. In any case, the next couple weekends beyond are likely to be peak aspen conditions so I plan to ask my boss for either a Friday or Monday in order to make a road trip more worthwhile. In this sudden age of the Internet, there are 100 times as many leaf peepers and photographers with tripods roaming about the usual places like the Bishop Creek roads or Lundy as there were just a decade ago. Amazing how things have changed.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Fall_2007/fall_2007.html
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dave

I saw Inge's post, quit a day starting at 2 am.
I may go up Sat-Mon, hitting Lundy the first day and then down south, I am hoping
some more reports will be posted at the beginning of this coming week and then
as the week progresses so I can finalize my itinerary.
I am also wishing to go to Hope Valley before I go to the big island in the middle of Oct
if I have the time.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

I hit the Hope Valley/Charity Valley area today, and the fall change is hit or miss right now. Goldens are positively bursting around Sorenson's, but elsewhere it's very, very patchy. The usual show in Hope Valley hasn't started yet, although there are a couple small batches of trees that are yellow. Also just starting to turn up near Heenan Lake. Not much happening out in the Markleeville area. All in all I give the Hope Valley/Charity Valley areas a 3/10 right now. No reds at all, and flashy goldens only in the small groves around Sorenson's.

Drove up 89 out of Truckee yesterday, and it's pretty much not started yet. Maybe a 2/10, and that's generous.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Have you checked this website: http://www.CaliforniaFallColor.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks SteveB on that update I was expecting to visit that area around Oct 10th which
may be perfect barring any big storm.
Hi will-jrob I did not see that site, but it pretty much puts this coming weekend as
possibly the best time to go do a road trip, especially after the colder temps hitting
the area for the next couple of days should turn the leaves nicely.
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Here is a link to my report:
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/2009/09/eas ... er-23.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going on one more marathon drive in the AM, will most likely hit Bishop Creek again and then check out McGee Creek.

Sorry I have been absend from the board.

Inge
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Inge

Looking forward to your report on the Bishop Creek area, especially after this cold
spell.