Pronghorn Antelope in CA? | High Sierra Topix  

Pronghorn Antelope in CA?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!

Pronghorn Antelope in CA?

Postby Windwalker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 am

I didn't know we had Pronghorn....am I the only one that didn't know this???

I was on the Carrizo Plain yesterday....cool place!

Windwalker
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby copeg » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:39 am

Very neat photos WW!

The Carrizo Plain is an interesting place. I think I had my fair share of the place when I visited and was literally chased away from one of the back roads by whay I guessed was a drug farmer. Tailgated me for two hours - never passed me. I pulled over to let them pass and they just stopped behind me, I took off for fear they would get out with shotgun in hand. I'd like to go back for the wildflower display this spring, but that incident really scared the crap out of me.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Buck Forester » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:32 am

Hi Windwalker! Nice shots! Which mm lens did you use to get these? Did you use an extender?
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Postby Windwalker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks Buck & Mountaineer!
I used the Canon 300mm f/4 "L" IS with the 1.4 extender (420mm) Still had to crop quite a bit to fill the frame. Antelope are kinda shy :paranoid:
Last edited by Windwalker on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Postby Buck Forester » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 pm

Cool! I'm encouraged because I was hoping my 400mm with a 1.4x extender would be within reach. As well as you've been doing, I was thinking maybe you had a 600mm by now! :)
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Postby Windwalker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:22 pm

I wish!!!

That is my dream lens600mm f/4
Windwalker
Founding Member

Postby mountaineer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

This photo was taken with a 500mm mirror lense that cost me less than a hundred bucks.

I throw on a 2x TC for longer range and I can get shots like this one of Whitney from my car in the 'bama Hills.

Those pronghorns are cool. I have seen them as far west as the hills NE of Paso Robles and there are a lot of them in the area around the Highway 46/Highway 41 junction(James Dean Memorial) in SLO county.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Postby mountaineer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:10 pm

BTW, I saw plenty of those "Dream Lenses" at the finish line of Stage 4 of the Tour of California today.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Postby mountaineer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:41 pm

trailblazer wrote:Very neat photos WW!

The Carrizo Plain is an interesting place. I think I had my fair share of the place when I visited and was literally chased away from one of the back roads by whay I guessed was a drug farmer. Tailgated me for two hours - never passed me. I pulled over to let them pass and they just stopped behind me, I took off for fear they would get out with shotgun in hand. I'd like to go back for the wildflower display this spring, but that incident really scared the crap out of me.

I'm for hire if you need a bodyguard.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Postby Snow Nymph » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 am

Cool pics! I've onlly seen Pronghorn at Montgomery Pass, no photos though (mine were blurry) :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Postby jimqpublic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:49 pm

There used to be a lonely confused Pronghorn that hung out in Olancha with the cows northeast of the 395/190 junction.
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted

Pronghorns

Postby Steve & Kitty » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:17 pm

This is my first attempt at posting/replying, so I hope it goes through ok.
There are herds of pronghorn antelope in N.E. California, and are beautiful to look at. My wife and I were driving along Ca Hwy 44 near Hog Flat, and noticed a doe and fawn (if that's what theycall female and baby antelope!) about 100 ft from the highway. I stopped along the shoulder of the highway to observe them. The mother had the baby lay down in a thicket, then she proceeded on. Really neat to watch and observe.
Also, here in N.E. Ca, there are herds of wild horses, which are fun to watch and observe. One really respects these beautiful animals in the winter, when temps are around zero, and they're having to endure these extreme conditions. You realize how wonderful and fragile life is when you see wildlife in it's natural habitat.
Steve & Kitty
Topix Newbie

Next

Return to High Sierra Photography / Videography