Prime winter photo locations?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
lostlandscapes
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Prime winter photo locations?

Post by lostlandscapes »

Hi everyone. I'll be heading over to the eastern Sierra's for a few days in late April, and this will primarily be a photographic journey. We'll have snowshoes for dayhikes, and would be willing to rent skies if necessary, but we won't be doing any overnight backcountry camping. I'm not that familiar with that side of the Sierras in the winter though. It's my assumption that all of the roads going up into the mountains will still be closed. So is it possible to reach any really photogenic places still, without backpacking? Or are those Sierras an impenetrable fortress in the winter time?

I'm thinking Mono Lake, Alabama Hills, and the White Mountains (if we can get up there) as a few spots to check out. But we would love to somehow get up into the Sierra for a day too, maybe visit a scenic lake with a view of close up peaks. Is anyone willing to reveal any of their favorite winter photography hotspots? Ones that are accessible by a 2-4 mile snowshoe or ski? Ones that are not too treacherous to hike back down after dark (we'll have headlamps)? I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions, as we'd like to have some kind of plan before we leave.

Thanks a lot!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Prime winter photo locations?

Post by copeg »

Some of the roads could be open to the trailheads, but don't count on it. If they are I'd recommend Bishop Pass as a nice snowshoe/hike with incredible scenery (although this is about 5 miles to the pass, Long Lake is within a few miles). Others that are accessible from winter closure points in addition to those you mention: Minaret Summit, Little Lakes Valley (snowpark permit required), Convict Lake, Owens Valley and/or the Buttermilks (you've got the entire sierra stretch - very beautiful at dawn), June Lake. There are so many options I don't think you could go wrong.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Prime winter photo locations?

Post by Snow Nymph »

Minaret Summit view
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;