SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by rightstar76 »

Fishmonger, really enjoy seeing your pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Glad people enjoy them. I suppose next to being my trip journal, the main point of taking photos is to share them - "hey, look what I saw this summer" :)

North view from Forester
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Aloha-cr1.jpg
The above is a 1300 by 1000 pixels crop at 100% pixels, out of a much larger 21600 by 10100 pixel panoramic image below shot with my Sony A6000 and Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN lens. Can you see where it fits in the below downsized image?

Heather Lake, Lake Aloha, Crystal Range

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2018_Trip_C ... html#jun22

At sunrise Friday June 22, I packed up gear, moved my pack closer to the Pacific Crest Trail I would be using to hike out, then set out towards the viewpoint I had visited Thursday. Reaching the top about 7:30am, I found perfect conditions with just a gentle breeze and relatively quiet lake waters in the distance. The dark blue lake waters could look better with a nice lighter more saturated blue between about 9am and 10am, however by that time the bright white snow on the Crystal Range peaks would be harsh. And by that time of morning Aloha is usually breezy that it indeed became. I thus set up my Nodal Ninja III MK II panoramic head for an especially large 24 frame image with 8 columns and 3 rows. The larger a stitch blend image, the more careful to be with each frame as a single mistake on one frame may result in a whole multi frame image being unusable. And that process required about 20 minutes to fully shoot its 131 individual shots.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Real bummer that deep zoom showcase sites like the defunct Microsoft Photosynth site are defunct. Gigapixel stuff is difficult to embed outside of specialized sites and since the demise of Silverlight and Flash, this whole concept seems to have faded from interest. I need to go read up on what can be done today to show off higher resolutions, but showing slices like above doesn't really do much for public display, other than "yeah, I am missing out on a lot here." I mostly stitch to supplement missing ultra wide glass, or just for the heck of it, to see what comes out of the stitcher. There's really little reason for me to create ultra high resolution images, as I don't print these things very large, if ever.

Here's where my lens wasn't wide enough and I just slapped 3 or 4 images next to each other for a final shot of what I wanted to take with me. As usual, higher resolution on Flickr

Morning mood at Lake of the Lone Indian

5 or 6 images across

Smoke around the Minarets

4 across

My view from camp at Duck Lake

just 2 frames here

Dawn Glow over Nevada
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Out this one on your home made motivational poster to remind you to get out there and enjoy the Range of Light

Le Conte blast of light b
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Forester Pass south approach with Junction Peak and Diamond Mesa on the right

Forester Pass region from Bighorn Plateau
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Back at my favorite lake, this summer ice and snow free. It rained all day but at night the light got pretty

One of my special places
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice photos "Dude." We really like the stitched image of The Minerets with smoke. (and your icon makes us laugh- our boys favorite film of all time)
Abide, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Harlen wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:23 am Nice photos "Dude." We really like the stitched image of The Minerets with smoke. (and your icon makes us laugh- our boys favorite film of all time)
Abide, the Harlens.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man :unibrow:

More from the Dude as he was heading down to Le Conte Canyon this summer

When the Creek is in the spotlight
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

My most reliable hiking partner. 10 years we've been together, and even though he's a bit sun bleached and needs a bath, he's got the right attitude and keeps me motivated when I feel like all the rain and gear failure is a reason to quit early :) A true Sierraphile.

Muir Trail Veteran on Pinchot Pass