SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by rlown »

That one appeals to me greatly!!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

July 15 below Goodale Pass. Lake of the Lone Indian, Chief and Warrior Lakes were all frozen sold. This is the tarn you usually boulder-hop across in June already when coming from Goodale heading to Silver Pass

Spring is arriving late
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Lets see if I can find some more kids.... Here's Nathan at 7 years, can you guess where?
IMG_6298.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

kids in the Sierra (now grown up) - here resting after another long day near Duck Lake

Enjoying the moment
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice! I sure hope to take similar photos of our boys/young men one day. Thanks for the hopeful picture.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

7 years ago with his sister on Island Pass. Sister has not been back to the Sierra since that trip (her third at that time). My son has been in the Sierra 7 summers now, and he's 19. In the image below they are 12 years old (they are twins)

Looking for a camp site
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Harlen wrote:Lets see if I can find some more kids.... Here's Nathan at 7 years, can you guess where?
Not many will know that haha. Has 8 letters, with 4 vowels. Down below from that bedrock is a small turf meadow that about Labor Day has a nice patch of dwarf bilberry, vaccinium caespitosum. The bilberry turns red late season that well complements that rusty geology. Long ago I had a nice 6x7 Provia scan on its summitpost.org page but deleted it years ago. Your image is much better than any of the images for that page.

David
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Dave, and you're right again, however, didn't that same peak's name formerly have only 3 letters and 1 vowel? Nicest part of that photo is the memory of the long family trip that followed: over Stanton Pass, and on down and around, up Matterhorn Canyon, over Burro, over Mule, to one of our family favorites Snow Lake, day trip to Rock Island Lake, and on down Robinson Creek- 8 wonderful days.

Thanks for the family photo and history "fishmonger."
IMG_6351.JPG.jpg
Here are 4 kids from 7 to 17 years, nearing Burro Pass later in the same trip as the former Virginia Peak pic. The older kids are old friends from Vermont, one of whom is now 20, and just this summer, through-hiking the AT. The older is 23, and spent last summer doing geology field work in the Sierra. So sometimes the call of the mountains is heard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

Here are mine from a trip three years back at the head of the canyon whose name is the same as the peak that was formerly called Red. We came in over the pass by the same name and day hiked to the top of Twin Peaks Pass but chickened out on actually climbing the Peak. Oh well, we all lived to hike another day.
v_rg_n__.jpg
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The "trail" from Goodale Pass to Silver Pass is somewhere under all that white stuff... The drift on the left had to be at least 100 feet of snow where there usually is a small valley.

Water with no way out