My New 20D

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

I've shot with a digi Rebel and I own a 20D. My wife (fiance at the time) got me the 20D so it wasn't of my doing. No complaints though. :) The digi Rebel is very nice and the image quality would/should be the same between the two cameras, but what I really like about the 20D is the wheel on the back. I'm used to the wheel because my Canon Elan 7 has it too, so it's really just like a digital version of my Elan 7. The digi Rebel takes another step or two, via menus, to do the same things that a simple turn of the wheel does. At least that's been my experience, but Windwalker would be a better resource on this since he's shot extensively with both. The 20D has been out for nearly a year now so that's OLD in this new world of digital, so Canon will probably replace it very soon even though it's still wildly popular. Nikon's recent D200 upped the anty and has 10 heckapixels compared to the 20D's 8 (it's all marketing, the megapixels aren't THAT big of a deal in and of themselves), but the Nikon also has lots of other great features too. So I don't think Canon will wait long to counter it. Canon has been the leader in this market so they know what they're doing.

If you shoot landscapes, one thing I DESPISE is the 1.6x crop factor. It sucks. That's why I can't wait to get a 5D with a full-frame sensor. If you shoot wildlife or sports it's no big deal and may even be an advantage to some degree to have a crop factor. I love to go really wide-angle so I'm anti-crop factor to the max. But I still love my 20D for certain things.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

I took my 20D down to the beach this weekend to mess around, did my same routine of metering on AV then moving to manual. Pretty cool getting the instant feed back, but I hate the horizontal crop on my 20 mm lens; which is now 32 mm, not so bad on the vertical. I'll have to see how much difference there is with the 17-40 L lens. Not the Sierra, but one of my first shots, used a 3 hard step filter.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4057740
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Beautiful shot Doug!

Buck®- I got a chance to play with a 5D yesterday...they wouldn't let me take it for a test drive though :crybaby:
I wiped the drool off of it and gave it back.

Someday!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice shot, Doug!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Suh-WEET image! That's what I like about the 20D, there is virtually no learning curve if you're used to shooting with a Canon EOS or Elan type of a camera.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

I love that focus from the forground into the distance. This new technology is amazing. I never have done much with a wide angle, but I have always been impressed by that look. I am just getting back into it with a basic little digital. I am impressed with how it makes everyone an expert. Wish I knew how to put it on the puter. My brother calls me a vidiot. I am what I am . jls
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well now you guys have me thinking about the 20D.

In the mean time I was brwosing Amazon looking for the 20D and came across this:

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II 16.7MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
List Price: $11,999.99
Price: $7,139.94
You Save: $4,860.05 (41%)

:eek: Holy smokes, save four grand?? This must be some knockout camera. Phoooey.

Anyway, back to reality......
What is a good "starter lens" for us newbies if indeed I cannot let go of my temptation?

TIA
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Hay Shawn, I’ve been looking for a 20D on ebay for awhile, always got out bid, so finally just bought a new one before the rebate ended. But if you end up getting a Canon digital body, the Canon 17-40 ”L” is the best lens you can get for the money. Rumor is Canon will be announcing a new upgraded 20D around March.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I've got the first gen Rebel (300D) and really love the 17-40 f/4L lens! I got my eye on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS, but with impending medical bills and general life expenses, I don't know if I'll be getting it any time soon.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thank you for for the info guys.

I guess I should read up on the matter too. I've never owned an SLR or serious camera before so a lot of the terminology is greek to me. Looks like most lenses can cost as much as the camera. Just the same, after reading thru this and other threads, and seeing some of the great images - the temptation to splurge just gets greater and greater.

In the mean time I'm grateful for the tips.