camera recommendation?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: camera recommendation?

Post by BSquared »

Hi, all. I'm bumping this topic because my five-year-old Fuji A303 seems to have bit the dust. What I'm looking for is something quite light and compact (mostly for backpacking), something I can just haul out of the shoulder-strap pocket and shoot, and something with good macro capability for wildflowers (the Fuji A303 was not every good in this regard). I also think I'd like an optical viewfinder, both because I think it lets me shoot faster for wildlife and because I find the screens difficult to see in daylight. Although I respect what was posted earlier about battery packs, I'm still leaning toward AAs because I do like those lithiums: they're extremely light, they seem to last practically forever, and I've been able to take pictures on ski trips when I could see that other skiers couldn't (but I don't know what they were using).

I'm thinking of a Cannon Powershot SD 1100 IS Elph (which doesn't take AAs), or maybe the relatively new Powershot E1 (which does), but I definitely haven't settled on those two as my main choices yet. Suggestions?

-B2
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: camera recommendation?

Post by The Other Tom »

B^2,
Check out dpreview.com for comparisons of different cameras. They have a cool feature where you can input the things you want, like a macro lens, battery type, etc, then it will give the the available cameras with those features. Here's a link
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp