Old Sierra Photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Old Sierra Photos

Post by gary c. »

Since I know there are a lot of photographers on this site I thought you might like these. The two links have a lot of duplicates.
Gary C.

http://content.ci.pomona.ca.us/cdm4/res ... BOX1=Trout

http://content.ci.pomona.ca.us/cdm4/res ... X1=fishing
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Timberline
Topix Regular

Re: Old Sierra Photos

Post by Timberline »

Hey, gary c,
Thanks for sharing these photos! I love these old pix primarily because they keep Sierra history alive and personally because I can identify with some of their intimations of past decades in the Sierra. Even tho I don't go back that far (to the 20's and 30's) those times weren't all that distant when I first set foot in the high country. Reminds me of the good ol' days when the mountains weren't so crowded and you could still drink the water right out of the stream (you probably still can, but that's not the conventional wisdom anymore!)
I had the good fortune to work in Arne Snyder's High Sierra District of Sierra National Forest in the year that saw the Congress' designation of the John Muir Wilderness. It was the Sierra depicted in those pictures that we all wanted to preserve and keep viable for the future. Great memories, thanks! :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

If you open up the very first picture from this link titled "Photographer of the Desert" you'll find it's actually a pamphlet with a lot of cool Death Valley pics.
Gary C.

http://content.ci.pomona.ca.us/cdm4/res ... X1=fishing
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Very cool--thanks for posting those.

I used to have a bunch of sites bookmarked that had historic photos of the Sierra, but that was several computers ago. You're prompting me to go searching again. I remember there were some great old photos in the Bancroft Library archive, in the Library of Congress online, and a couple of other places.