Buck Forester

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Buck Forester

Post by maverick »

How do you like your 5D now that you've had time to get
used to it? And what lenses do have?
Anything that you'd change on it or would like to see changed
on the updated version(whenever that happens)?
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

Well, I'm not Buck...obviously, but I finally upgraded from the 300D to a 5D about 5 months ago. It's funny, I got the 5D mainly for landscape shots, but I haven't been able to get out and take landscapes! I've been using it on birds and family stuff. I really like it and I have no complaints. Well, maybe if they remove the stupid printer button and instead put a mirror lock up button.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Mike

Yeah that was one of the main complaints when the camera was
introduced.
Which lenses do you have Mike?
I was waiting for the updated version to be introduced last week
by Canon, but it did not happen, so Im contemplating getting one
now or maybe waiting till Sept for the next round of new cameras
to be introduced.
I can live with my 30D for a couple more months.
I have got the 17-40, 24-105, and 100-400 lenses ready for whenever
it does finally show up !
By the way Mike did you buy it new or used? Solo or package deal?
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I have the 50 f/1.8, 17-40 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 300 f/4L and 1.4x II. I "bought" it new from B&H, camera only. Here's the story about the camera here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very cool! Hows your 1.4x extender work on your f/4 lenses?
Is the af still pretty fast? Is your view finder still bright enough
since you lose some light?
Hows the 70-200 f/4, Ive read its lighter and has a better bokeh
that the f/2.8 IS.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I use the 1.4x with my 300 f/4 all the time. I just got back (~hour ago) from another "walk" through the orchard and took a "few" photos. I'll post some in a little bit.

I don't have any problems with the AF or view finder. As far as the bokeh, I've only used the f/4L non-IS, so I really don't know. I could only afford the "cheap" version, but now that I've been using it in gymnastics, I really need the extra light.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey Maverick! Well, I love the 5D, but I think I've only taken it out twice for some nature shots, and both times there wasn't much magical happening. I've taken about 5,000 shots of my little boy though, ha!

2008 should be an interesting year for me because I'm in the final touches of building my high def video studio. I plan on taking lots of crazy adventures this year and making wilderness adventure videos as well as create stock hd nature footage, but of course I'll have my camera in hand too, both my 5D and Elan 7 bodies.

As for lenses, I have (from small to large) a Canon 15mm fisheye, the 17-40mm, the 70-200mm f/4, the 85mm (for portraits), and the 400mm f5.6, all Canon glass. I'll be adding a macro in there sometime soon just for fun.

As for changes on the camera, well, I'm not very technical so I don't use 90% of what it can do... I pretty much pick my ISO and my aperture and click away. I have the Canon 580 EX Speedlite Flash but I wouldn't mind having a quick and simple on camera pop-up flash like on my 20D just for fill flash. I doubt they'll go that route on the next model because it's not really a "pro" feature.

I'm signed up for the Calypso Imaging digital workflow class later this month (the one with Charles Cramer and Bill Atkinson) so I'll finally learn Photoshop and the whole process from image to print. As of now I've been having it done for me and it's not necessarily the best way to go.

I'm surprised they haven't updated the 5D yet. It's still an awesome camera as is, but I bought mine with a big rebate promotion and I was thinking they were doing that because they were about to release the next version. That was a while ago. Doesn't the new Rebel XT have 12 MPs? That's what the 5D has and I'd think they would want to keep it a step ahead of the XT.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
nazdarovye
Topix Acquainted

Post by nazdarovye »

Hey, Buck - glad to see you're plotting your next big thing - I'll look forward to seeing the videos, and also would be curious to hear back about the Calypso class once you've taken it.

Just got a Nikon D300 and 18-200 VR lens to add to the old FM2 and various lenses I already had - going to Yellowstone for two weeks of backcountry trekking and skiing starting next week, so hope to get lots of good pics with it (Oops - this is "High Sierra Topix" - forget I mentioned that other place :-)
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Hey Buck, don't go dissin' my new xti. I'm just advancing from my point-and-shoot. I'm interested in hearing about the class, too. I have GOT to get organized.

One cool thing, though, is that my boss at the hospital where I work when I'm not in the Sierra, saw all my Sierra wallpapers I put on the lab's computers and has arranged a sale of my prints AT the hospital - on payday! Score. Excited. Nervous. Scared. Hope I break even.
mountainLight
Founding Member

Post by mountainLight »

Looks like lots of people got camera upgrades. I guess I should chime in then. Being an Olympus man I upgraded to their new E3. Haven't had much of a chance to get out and take a bunch of nature stuff either yet. Mostly shots of my son and other local stuff, but I can't wait for this summer as I have a few things planned.

Looks like we will have lots to share this year when things warm up. I am looking forward to it.