Creek Dogwood, Quaking Aspen, Willow, Rush Creek

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Creek Dogwood, Quaking Aspen, Willow, Rush Creek

Post by SSSdave »

From a couple weeks back on Wednesday October 3rd at Rush Creek, the first sheet I exposed on a week long road trip. Wednesday afternoon was quite windy so I decided to see what I could do along a rather dense wind protected area on Rush Creek where there are nice areas of creek dogwood. The dogwood at a nearby spot I've often photographed was not too red, however this spot caught my eye although it had already gone into shade. However the steep opposite slope of yellow willow and cottonwood leaves were still in sun providing reflected light into this little area. I worried about getting adequate depth of field. I settled on a precarious tripod location on the steep bank where I could back up some while being under some overhanging branches. Set the lower frame focus for a bit beyond the nearest dogwood and the upper tilt focus for a ways back in the aspen trunks. By time I got set up, the shadows had crept further up the opposite bank so I wasn't optimistic. Using my 150mm Nikkor lens I stopped down to the maximum f/60 that required an 8 second exposure at what I guessed would be about right. Such dim light exposures are the most difficult part of 4x5 field work for those of us that don't bracket and take just single exposures. The slowest fixed shutter speed on my Copal shutter is 1 second. Thus I set it on bulb and would use my $7.99 Kmart wristwatch second hand to time it crudely. There was a breeze coming and going so if it came during the time my shutter was open there would be ugly blurring. Well I pressed the shutter release cable when I guessed the breeze would wane a bit, and about 6 seconds into the ticking, I noticed a breeze fluttering leaves in the distance. So at 7.5 seconds I paniced and released when I thought the leaves would start moving. Disgusted though as I expected the film to be a bit dim maybe. A tosser I thought! Later on in the trip I came back and gave it a full 8 seconds at the same time of the afternoon. Looking at my film today, that pic overexposed and it was this first one that I'd stopped the time a bit short that nailed it. What do I know haha! Am really supprised how much sharpness I got on the film just with the tilt and stopping down to f/60. Given the issues, likely won't be able to print this too large, though30x24 inches ought to still look quite sharp. ...David
CSF
Topix Acquainted

Post by CSF »

This is really nice Dave! I really like how the red weaves in & out of the image. Very nice. Fyi, I'm seeing a lot of blue in this, not sure if that was intended or not?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Really like the colors and the sharpness of the photo.
CSF is right though the blue cast is not natural looking on the trees
and especially rocks and the bush in front of them, its almost like
the rocks left side and bush has been spray painted.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

You two are so right about the blue cast on the trunks. I totally missed that while adjusting other color issues. I easily fixed that in Photoshop. My transparency does have a light blue cast on the trunks and rocks likely due to the blue sky above which is now a pretty close match to the web image.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I was thinking that it looked like it was caused by frost?
Gary C.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yeap, thats better.