Transfer I-phone photo to non-Apple computer?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Transfer I-phone photo to non-Apple computer?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since I lost my camera, I have been taking photos on my I-phone. The last batch I tediously e-mailed each photo to myself and then down-loaded to my computer (Dell Inspiron). There has to be an easier way. Any suggestions?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Transfer I-phone photo to non-Apple computer?

Post by LMBSGV »

It's the same procedure as charging your phone from your computer: Plug into a USB port on your computer with the charger attached to the phone. Go into Explorer. The phone should appear as one of the devices/drives connected to your computer. Click on that and then "Internal Storage" The phone will ask you "Allow this device to access photos and videos". Choose allow. Then copy the files and put them in whatever subdirectory you want on your computer. Hope that helps.

My wife uses her I-phone for photos now and we both do this frequently.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

Send it to your own email account, simple to do and also gives you a back up.

Dave
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for the suggestions. I am afraid my e-mail account will not hold all the photos I have taken. I have about 100 photos on the phone right now that need to be put on my computer.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Just copy and paste over to a thumb drive or hard drive. Hold the Ctrl button down and you can copy more than one at a time. I just did this over the weekend to put all my photos on a thumb drive. Easy peasy.

John
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Can't you save them to I Cloud, and then access them from your computer? I'm an Android guy, so I don't know for sure. I use Amazon Prime Photos.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I figured it out! It took a while to realize that once I plugged in my I-phone, I had to do the commands on the I-phone, not my computer. I have my husband's old version 5, and the photos are not great- all darker than I like. Color rendition is also a bit muddy. The photos automatically transferred as jpg files. Not sure if I just missed choosing other options. When I e-mail each one at a time to myself, I have several choices of file type and size when I download it to my computer. I may the better photos and e-mail them to myself to see if I get a better photo.

I do not back up my phone or computer to the cloud. Just my personal preference.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I'm glad you figured it out but I don't understand what you mean by doing the commands on the iPhone. I use the same procedure as LMBSGV described. The only thing I have to do on the phone is to Allow this device to access photos and videos.