Photos from my May 2007 trip

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
TNsoccer07
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Photos from my May 2007 trip

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Hey everyone. I returned back to Knoxville early June 1 after 10 absolutely wonderful days that included 7 national parks. Outside of the High Sierra, I visited Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon National Parks. In California, I visited Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, and Death Valley. Although 2 1/2 months out from ACL surgery, I was able to hike 64 miles during my trip. The most I hiked in one day was the first day in Yosemite which included 14 miles total and a 3,200 foot gain up to Glacier Point. Thank you to all who contributed to my trip planning as it really was an AWESOME experience. I will likely have a trip report later this month if anyone is interested. I didn't quite do the backpacking/climbing that many of you on this site did, but I still was able to see some awesome sights. You can see my photos taken during this trip by going to the following link. They were all taken with a crappy $90 Canon digital camera, so obviously they are not the best of shots.

Sean

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r122 ... 07%20Trip/
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph W. Emerson
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Great pictures, it's obvious you had a good time.

Hey, for a ninety dollar camera those bear pictures are priceless!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Nice pics- just looked at the Bryce Canyon ones so far. I love that place and your pics are great- cheap camera worked pretty darn good in your hands! I'll check the rest of the pics out over time. Nice trip plan too. Glad you had an awesome time.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I checked out the Bryce Canyon ones too. Nice! We did a similar trip in Utah, that's where SnowDude and I got together. :) I'll check the rest out later.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sean

Looks like you had a wonderful trip with memories to last for long time.
You were even fortunate enough to experience bears in two of the
parks.
When we visited Bryce it snowed so hard we couldnt see a thing but
we really enjoyed Red Canyon and Zion. Angels Landing has a great
view as did the Narrows.
I hope what you saw has enticed you to see more of the Sierra because
what you saw was just a peak, especially in SEKI?
TNsoccer07
Topix Acquainted

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Thanks everyone! Yep, this was definitely a memorable trip. I had already been to Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon (only South Rim) before, but Death Valley, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and Yosemite were completely new experiences. I REALLY want to get back to Yosemite and do some of the high country hikes that I wasn't able to do because of snow. Glen Aulin, Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, and Cathedral Lakes would probably be some of my top picks to do. Obviously once I decide to venture into the realm of backpacking, Sequoia/Kings Canyon will be at the top of the list of places to go. Rae Lakes and many, many other destinations would be possible then. While driving from Lone Pine to Lee Vining, I noticed the awesome peaks around the Mammoth Lakes area and now I definitely need to go there. From what I've seen, I really would love to go to 1000 Island Lakes (I think that was the name). That bear was so cool and knowing I was farther away from it than many other slower companions, I felt even better. :D Anyway, thanks for the help in planning for this trip, as I did have a FANTASTIC vacation.

Sean

Sean
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph W. Emerson
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your talking about the Minarets in the Ansel Adams Wilderness
behind Mammoth.
Its a beautiful area with some of the best lakes in the Sierra.
Minaret Lake and Ediza Lake beingsome of the prettiest that trails
lead to.
Off-trail lakes include Ashley, Beck Lakes and the Lakes Trail
which include Minaret, Cecile and Iceburg Lakes.
Banner Peak is an easy climb from Lake Catherine and offers a great
view from the top.
TNsoccer07
Topix Acquainted

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Thanks maverick! Are any of these accessible as a day hike, or are all of these backpacking destinations?
-Ralph W. Emerson
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Minaret Lake from Red Meadow and Ediza and Garnet Lake from Agnew
Meadows can be done.
We are talking about 16 and 14 miles round trip to both areas.
TNsoccer07
Topix Acquainted

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Great! Thanks for the info. maverick. Those sound like good day hikes. I think I can probably do 25 miles if I'm not hiking with my parents, so those sound very doable. Thanks again!
-Ralph W. Emerson