Rae Lakes Documentary

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
hamsterfish
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Rae Lakes Documentary

Post by hamsterfish »

Hi there,
I just released my documentary on Rae Lakes, in Kings Canyon NP. Hope you like it. Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPS approved this project.

Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lakes Documentary

Post by Shawn »

Wow, beautifully done. Bravo ! =D>
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Very nice.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Watched it over the weekend with my wife. I'm ready to go back!
I enjoy your creativity, and am blown away that you do all of the music too.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

I really enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing.
hamsterfish
Topix Novice

Post by hamsterfish »

Thanks dudes! Glad ya liked it!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Enjoyed your 20 minute film, quite professionally produced and packaged, well done. The cartoon segments add considerable value and will certainly make it more watchable for younger viewers. It might have stretched out to say 30 minutes with a bit more time lingering on some of the more key visuals that flew by.

Appears to be July that was rather early to be out in during this high snow year especially if introducing the experience to those unfamiliar with such conditions. Although it is true lots of snow, melting snow, and water on such landscapes that at that location would be more common mid to late June, excites and thrills numbers of Sierra Nevada visitors including some on this board, it is also true that there are others like this person that tend to dislike being out in the high country then versus either later when there is much less snow, greenery, wildflowers, somewhat buggy, and less effort exploring landscapes, or late summer when all is dry and bugs few. Thus my advice especially to guys bringing out their less experienced gals, to be conservative in their itinerary lest they end up discouraging future backpacking trips.

For many going into the Rae Lakes basin from Onion Valley, the aggressive itinerary is to reach there in just two days with the first night at Kearsarge Lakes. I personally consider that a moderately strenuous effort for novices carrying average loads especially since the crux of that effort is at the end of that day's hike after likely being somewhat sore from a day 1 effort and not quite yet acclimated to altitude. Those that do spend a second night south of Glen Pass tend to have the usual "only camp at alpine lakes" mindset so drop down to Charlotte Lake to do so. However I personally find that lake and basin rather mediocre scenically. A better choice is the pleasant timberline forested tarns at 3400 meters about 3/4 mile from the pass. That way one will climb up and over the pass in the morning when fresh. Additionally, the morning view north-northwestward down the valley and beyond has arguably better light scenically and a person has more probability of enjoying the descent into one of our finest alpine lake basins when they are fresh and light is best.

Another suggestion when bringing novices out on efforts requiring 2 or 3 days to reach is to provide at least one layover day versus the more usual tendency of those planning trips to be on trails every day as though spending a layover day misses out seeing more of the high country thus must be better. If one is always on trails or preparing to be on every day, there really isn't the more relaxed experience of absorbing what such wonderful places are. Not something that tends to have awareness with many aggressive males but does so with those that tend to have a deeper nature with experiences.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html