Introduction

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Introduction

Post by DaveDill »

Hi All,
A life-long lover of the High Sierra, I've recently stumbled upon this great site. As a new member, I thought I would briefly introduce myself.

I'm a very serious (obsessed) landscape photographer with a primary interest in the Eastern and High Sierra. I try to make it into the backcountry 6-8 times a year, usually for 3-5 nights. I'm in my mid fifties but very fit and relatively strong hiker. Sometimes I backpack with non-photographers but frequently go solo. When I was younger I would frequently travel off trail solo. I've become a bit more cautious over the years and now stick to trails (or close to traveled areas when solo). If any other photographers are interested in doing off-trail trips, please PM me. I look to contribute to the site in the future. I've attached a few of my favorite images from the summer of 2016 to give a flavor of my style. Thanks, Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Introduction

Post by The Other Tom »

High DaveDill
Welcome to HST !
Great pics, I really like pic #2.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Welcome to the forums Dave. Beautiful work, and looking forward to seeing more!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Enjoyed the Granite Park and Dusy shots, nice work. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Welcome DD. Nice visuals, well done...reflection kearsarge granite bishop dusy.

Good to know you have the dedication and will make the often unpleasant effort to get up early and stay up late for best light per above. What other subjects types do you enjoy working? Any close-up work? What is your current camera gear for the backcountry/nature and rough total weight? What photo software and post processing style? Do you use HDR, panoramic stitch blending, or focus stack blending? Ever hike with headlamp at night?

This "High Sierra Photography / Videography" sub-forum tends to be rather quiet. My September thread is still only 10 threads from top. Though not enough critical mass here for much discussion, there really aren't any other web photo forums that do have a critical mass of members where members have much to say about backcountry landscapes/nature beyond thankyou's and usual terse one liner strokes.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted

Post by DaveDill »

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. I've experimented with various subjects but now primarily focus on photographing the High Sierra backcountry and Eastern Sierra/Owens Valley landscapes in winter. I'm currently lugging ~15 lbs of camera gear - 5DSR, 16-35 f/4 and 70-200 f/4 lens', a RRS series 1 tripod, L bracket, BH-1 ball head, various ND, GND, polarizer filters. I work in Lightroom and Photoshop cc and do some stitching, focus stacking and exposure blending. And yes, I frequently hike at night with a headlamp to get to where I want to be for a sunrise shoot. I'll look forwarding to seeing your work on your website.
Dave
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Really beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Welcome to HST.