Ediza Lake

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ediza Lake

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Beautiful shot Maverick, well done! ;-)
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Spectacular light. One of those moments you wait for, hope for.

I recall a similar moment back in 1986 when I was in Corsica. One evening while I was watching some rock climbers at the Col de Bavella, I had a sunset spectacle develop that mixed with moving clouds below me unfold unexpectedly. except my camera was a quarter mile away and the light wasn't going to stay that way for very long. I had the option to watch, or to try for the near impossible and run back to the tent and get the camera.

I decided to run for the camera, and when I got back the light was mostly gone. I likely missed the sunset scene of my life. I don't leave my camera behind any longer. I am also still waiting for another light show like the one I had unfold on that day over 30 years ago...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Spectacular light. One of those moments you wait for, hope for.
Yes, it was!
I decided to run for the camera, and when I got back the light was mostly gone. I likely missed the sunset scene of my life. I don't leave my camera behind any longer. I am also still waiting for another light show like the one I had unfold on that day over 30 years ago...]
Yes, those are two points, of many, that most clients do not take into consideration or understand when looking at the prices of art pieces. This is why my method as a photographer is to introduce the piece in-depth and explain all the nuances behind what went into creating it, and why I do not waste my time trying to sell pieces thru an on-line gallery because a very intricate piece of the story would be lost.

That special light sometimes can be gone with just a couple of blinks of the eye and if we are not set up prior to that special moment it will be lost. This happened to me once a few years back when I did not hear my alarm go off at 5:30 am and I awoke to a brilliant orange-yellow color illuminating the tent, immediately peeked out of the tent, saw the tail-end of a nuclear sunrise, but by the time I ran to one of the pre-scouted locations the color had faded enough that the moment was lost, still think about that one today. :(

Addressing your other point, as photographers (like yourself), some of us previsualize what we would like to capture, this may take several trips to the same location and it may still not produce the desired components that we seek.
For example, the Ediza Lake capture took me going out to the same location, during the monsoonal season, over a decade to finally get all the components needed to be satisfied with the piece. Getting a storm and then waiting for some color is only one small component, the start of a funnel-like cloud with some movement, exactly above the lake, the sailor sunrise colors kissing the granite outcroppings in certain parts of the piece, the vivid red reflection not only in Ediza but the inlet creek too, the layering of lights and darks, the atmospheric conditions in the valley behind Ediza, the texture of the cliff's behind the lake, the snow patches interplaying with the granite on the right-hand side of the piece, and finally the brilliant green color of the grassy areas near the shore of the lake all needed to present to make this piece what it is.

There are many other locations that have been re-visited, similar to Ediza, but mother nature has not given me the light or the other components that are required to convey the extreme beauty that could even come close to doing any type of justice to the scenery.

My pieces are not just photographs, they are art pieces that take you to a location somewhere in the Sierra and tell you a story, their 3D looks allows one to get deeply immersed in the scenery, you can literally feel the power, get overwhelmed by the colors, and/or feel the tranquility conveyed by the particular subject matter in them.

Recently someone purchased 2 very large pieces, one was a panorama (34"x 64") of the Kern Divide, taken from near Shepherd Pass, they said that after they had hung the piece, they sat there for over 30 minutes, lost in the photo, like if they were right there in the moment, not only did they check out every little detail but also took in the power and beauty that this particular piece conveyed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Maverick,
Awesome image! Ediza Lake is one of my favorite stops in the Sierra.
If you could send a link to your website, I'd sure appreciate it.
Regards, Greg
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
The Private
Topix Newbie

Post by The Private »

Probably one of the most stunning photos I have ever laid my eyes upon Maverick!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Probably one of the most stunning photos I have ever laid my eyes upon Maverick!
Thank you.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted

Post by DaveDill »

Great composition and exceptional light! Great work, Maverick.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great composition and exceptional light! Great work, Maverick.
Thanks Dave. :)
Looks 100x better in person, on metal. ;)

DaveDill
Topix Acquainted

Post by DaveDill »

Yeah, I'm sure. Internet resolution never does justice vs a properly prepared print. What are gear are you shooting?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What are gear are you shooting?
?