Being properly kitted out

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Being properly kitted out (2)

Post by fishmonger »

I've only been up in the Sierras during week 2-3 of September once, and in the high country between Sawmill Pass and Whitney, all above 8500 feet. I saw one skeeter on my tent one morning. It was almost dead from the frost. That's it. No other bug issues.

Generally, the mosquito problems move up from the lower to the higher elevations over the course of the summer as temperatures allow them to hatch higher and higher, while their life span runs out first down low. By September, pretty much all of the lower elevations are bug free. There are regional variations, but nothing to worry about other than sun, thin air, less water than in spring, and cold nights with shorter days in between, It's about as nice as it gets up there from a nuisance point of view. Too bad half the vegetation is already dead. A general "brown look" is what takes over and all the nice contrast from the snow in spring and early summer has long melted away.

When there are mosquitoes, I use 100% Deet from REI (Jungle Juice) in a bottle, rub on skin and clothes. Works good enough that I don't mind hiking in late spring/early summer. In fall, I don't pack any repellant. I do have some bear spray on the shelf - maybe that's useful if you're the last hiker out in late fall when bears are looking at that lone hiker as the very last chance to properly to fatten up ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Being properly kitted out (2)

Post by maverick »

Is there a needs for protective lotions or potions at this time of year?
Simple but definite answer is no. If you want to take a small bottle of deet for piece of mind, if you use it, then go ahead.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Donald
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Being properly kitted out

Post by Donald »

Again, thank you all for your contributions. That is helpful.

Just over a week to go. Can't wait ... including the 11 hour flight from London to LA, to connect to Fresno!!
Donald
Topix Novice

Post by Donald »

Thank you again for those helpful comments.
Donald
Topix Novice

Post by Donald »

Thank you for those responses. That is really helpful.