The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread | High Sierra Topix  

The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!

Re: The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Postby ExploreABitMore » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 pm

sdhiker wrote:Has anyone used the Rokinon 14mm ultra wide lens http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-E-U ... B00HAF167Y, and if so what was your impression of it, especially if using it on a Sony A7 series.

Hi, pretty late in replying here, but just thought I would mention I have the Rokinon as my backup lens. I use the Sigma f/1.8 20 mm as my main lens, but I like the Rokinon too. Wider and it takes nice photos. For some reason, I like the Sigma better, but not really sure why. I think it's a bit lighter for backpacking and I seem to be able to focus it better, but that might just be because I use it more and have a better feel for it.

Anyhow, for the price, I don't think you can go too wrong with the Rokinon. It's all manual, but not really a drawback for night sky, which is usually all manual anyhow.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/

ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby fishmonger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:59 am

My 4th of July fireworks this summer, close to the Silver Divide at my favorite lake. The small "Trailpix" tripod replacement gizmo does work quite well, even with a heavy DSLR

4th of July night in the High Sierra
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:47 am

Really nice shot. Looks like the trailpix is stable. I assume you used 3 poles ? Two hiking poles + ?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby fishmonger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 am

three hiking poles. I wasn't alone. I did buy a third-party ballhead that is slightly stronger than the big one they offer. Same brand as their little one. My camera with lens is quite heavy, as I also carry the battery grip and it has a big old RRS plate on it. So my ballhead with Arca clamp mount is more weight than the trailpix plate itself, but all combined still 2 pounds less than the carbon tripod.

As for usability - it's a hassle to set up compared to a dedicated tripod. Also, anything but full pole elevation means you need to mess around with the poles, which even with the flip lock poles is somewhat of a pain, as your setup will collapse the moment you mess with the first leg. It is totally usable if you take the time, but if you want to quickly get a shot of a stream with ND1000 filter while your hiking partner is standing their rolling his eyes ("another freaking waterfall shot?"), you just go try to find a rock to put the camera on and leave the trailpix plate pack. I only used the plate at night, everything else I shot without it. When I carried the full tripod, I used it during the day, too, as it only took 30 seconds to get off the pack and set up.
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:14 am

fishmonger wrote:three hiking poles. I wasn't alone. I did buy a third-party ballhead that is slightly stronger than the big one they offer. Same brand as their little one. My camera with lens is quite heavy, as I also carry the battery grip and it has a big old RRS plate on it. So my ballhead with Arca clamp mount is more weight than the trailpix plate itself, but all combined still 2 pounds less than the carbon tripod.

As for usability - it's a hassle to set up compared to a dedicated tripod. Also, anything but full pole elevation means you need to mess around with the poles, which even with the flip lock poles is somewhat of a pain, as your setup will collapse the moment you mess with the first leg. It is totally usable if you take the time, but if you want to quickly get a shot of a stream with ND1000 filter while your hiking partner is standing their rolling his eyes ("another freaking waterfall shot?"), you just go try to find a rock to put the camera on and leave the trailpix plate pack. I only used the plate at night, everything else I shot without it. When I carried the full tripod, I used it during the day, too, as it only took 30 seconds to get off the pack and set up.

Thanks for the follow up
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby fishmonger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:14 pm

And something that could also go into the camp photo thread

Spirits in the Sierra night
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby fishmonger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:16 pm

and a quick photo of the Trailpix setup I used, here with the larger ball head and Swiss Arca clamp on three of our hiking poles

Trailpix tripod rig
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby pakoR » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Here are a few shots I took this past July while backpacking Section 1 of the SHR.

Celebrating the 4th of July on Windy Ridge with the Milky Way

The Milky Way and star trails from Upper Basin, the headwaters of the South Fork of the Kings River
pakoR
Topix Novice

Previous

Return to High Sierra Photography / Videography