The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
sdhiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Post by sdhiker »

Well I've now taken my first Milky Way shots on my trip up to Mt Whitney. It was a learning experience. I need to learn my camera a little better, and a nice wide angle lens would not hurt. Has anyone used the Rokinon 14mm ultra wide lens http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-E-U ... B00HAF167Y, and if so what was your impression of it, especially if using it on a Sony A7 series.

ImageMt Whitney Trail Camp with the Milky Way by Brad Spiess, on Flickr
My tent lit up while looking towards Mt Whitney and the Milky Way

ImageTrail Camp at Mt Whitney with the Milky Way by Brad Spiess, on Flickr
Milky Way Over Mt Whitney at the Trail Camp

Image1st milky way shot by Brad Spiess, on Flickr
Milky Way at the Alabama Hills near Mt Whitney
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

Great shots everyone! I'm headed up to the Whites this weekend to do some hiking and car camping and I hope to get some good milky way shots once the moon sets on Saturday night. I should hopefully get some bonus meteors from the Delta-Aquarid meteor shower in the frame as well since that showers radiant is in the southern skies.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

sdhiker wrote:Well I've now taken my first Milky Way shots on my trip up to Mt Whitney. It was a learning experience. I need to learn my camera a little better, and a nice wide angle lens would not hurt. Has anyone used the Rokinon 14mm ultra wide lens http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-E-U ... B00HAF167Y, and if so what was your impression of it, especially if using it on a Sony A7 series.
greatest value on a wide angle lens out there

outpost camp in April 2013 - no milky way, though. just lots of snow and moonlight. This is on a D600 and I really should process those files once more, as I have a better understanding how to do this now.

note, Rokinon, Samyang, Bower and a few other brands are all the very same lens.

see how it does in this comparison with far more expensive glass:

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php%3Foption% ... Itemid%3D2

and for astro photography in particular this review

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-14mm-f2-8-review/

the same site also reviews the 24mm f/1.4, which may be one of the very best lenses for night skies, but it costs more than twice as much compared to the 14mm
http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-24mm ... mc-review/
sdhiker
Topix Novice

Post by sdhiker »

Thanks for the info fishmonger, the more I read the more I come to understand that its such a great value, you just have to have some patience and make sure you get a good copy of the lens. I'm excited to order this lens and give it a try. I would primarily would use it for landscapes while hiking and astrophotography and this lens seems like a perfect fit, especially for my small wallet.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Just got back from a weekend up in the Whites. Weather was perfect, mid 40's where we camped in Cottonwood Valley near the Eva Belle mine. Only downside was there was a lot of moon. It wasn't going to set until after 1:00 AM or so I made due with what was there.

I woke up to water the foliage around three and the Milky Way was brilliant, but I didn't have the energy or desire to get the camera back out. I was getting up in 2 hours to break down camp and make the drive up to Barcroft station to make the trudge up to White Mountain Peak.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

My first attempt at night shots in the Sierra, not too bad. Of what I can remember with the details, I was using my stock 18-55mm Nikkor lens and the exposures ranged from 13 (darker) to 30 (much lighter) with the f/3.5 (I think) and the high setting with the ISO.

ImageDSC_0833 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0837 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

Both these shots are looking south over Moose Lake

ImageDSC_0830 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

There's no geological features in this one, but it captured the galaxy great I do believe :)

If I remembered my spare battery ](*,) I think I would have played a little more with it. But I saved a couple of ounces, right? :^o :whistle:
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Great job for a first attempt! The moon was parked right over the galactic center so I was SOL as far as getting good shot while I was shooting.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Thank you! I do feel they came out pretty well. Also, the boot works pretty well as a tripod in a pinch.... for the most part!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

This is a fun thread. I'm really enjoying looking at these Milky Way photos.

Here is one of my own taken a few weeks ago around midnight near Benton Crossing Rd. The silhouette is the Mt. Morrison region. There was lots of air glow that evening, and almost a new moon.

Taken with a Fujifilm X-T1 with the 14mm lens at f/2.8, ISO 6400, for 25 seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice

Post by Holokuahiwi »

This is a great thread and has been instructive. Motivates me to get my gear ready for my September trip.

No Milky Way, but sometimes night photos of people are fun.

Not the best photos, but still fun.

If I want to enjoy night photography, I really need to get a computer that can do some post work on and probably a better tripod and camera. My Nikon D3200 does a decent job, and a lot of it is user error, but I need to focus on getting clearer shots. This thread can help with that.

Also, the difference between the first photo (taken last year with my Nikon) and the 2nd/3rd (taken two years ago with my old Olympus) is pretty stark. Never noticed that until now.