JMT(+side trip) planning for magic hour and night photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: JMT(+side trip) planning for magic hour and night photos

Post by JWreno »

I took the Suntactics sCharger-5 last year on the JMT. I kept our SteriPens and iPhone charged up. I was carrying a Canan 6D with plenty of spare batteries but now I am taking a Sony RX100 III and the Suntactics sCharger-5 works great for the Sony batteries in the external USB charge holder. I am thinking about buying a Sony RX10 II and having my wife carry the RX100 III. There are a lot of nice astronomy and photography apps for the phone. If you leave the phone in airplane mode most of the time the battery doesn't need charging very often.

I used the charger in camp and I had a velcro on the top of my pack. I would charge what needed charging whenever I was hiking above the tree line. I may start carrying a GPS again when doing route finding since the solar charger could top up the GPS rechargeable batteries.

I am glad to hear you are taking your time of the hike. We did it in about 17 days and i didn't have a lot of energy for extra excursions to setup shots in the early morning or evening. I made a few exceptions such as Garnet lake. I spent a few hours after and before hiking taken dusk and dawn pictures.

I have used the Rokinon 14 and 24mm lens for Milky Way shots when I am doing astronomy related stuff. Very good value in the manual lenses.
Jeff
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I am thinking about buying a Sony RX10 II and having my wife carry the RX100 III.
:unibrow:

How long did it take you to charge the SteriPens and I-Phone with it JW?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

If I was above the tree line I could charge the Steripen in about 3-4 hours of good sun. Typically I would charge a Steripen about every 5 days. I had a total of 3 on the trip, one for each of us. I would top off my phone in the afternoon about every other day so it usually stayed about 50% with it being on airplane mode. I measured the output of the panel and I was getting a full amp at 5 volts under full sun when testing in my back yard in Reno.

I am really amazed how effective the charger was when riding on the top of my pack. Obviously the charger would usually not be aimed optimally at the sun since I am moving around. The only time the charger wasn't doing much was when I was hiking below the tree line going through intermittent shade.

I was going to be doing an 8 day trip on the SHR from McGee creek to Piute pass and wanted to have the GPS along. I stopped taking one on trips that are mostly on trail because I didn't like going through all the disposable batteries. Since the SHR requires more navigation the GPS would be a nice way to be sure I am not deviating from the route too much. The GPS rechargeable batteries could get a good 3-4 hour charge each day and still have enough solar power for my other needs such as camera, phone or SteriPen.

My backpacking trip is on the rocks because of a car-deer crash a few weeks ago. Instead of hiking when planned I may be taking the Amtrak back to Omaha to pick up my car from a body shop and then driving it back to Reno. Because of a lot of projects a work, I may only have time for a couple 3-4 day weekend trips this year.
Jeff
CharlieW
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by CharlieW »

Thanks JW for sharing your experience with the sCharger. I've done about as much testing as I can short of the actual backpacking trip. I thought it might be marketing gobbledygook, but the "restart" feature (or whatever they call it) seems to work as advertised. When I shade the panel, charging stops, but restarts on its own within a minute or so for both my iPhone and the camera. I'm also using it for steripen and my headlamp. My main worry now is the USB cable micro connection. I had one fail already in my living room.

Yeah, 10 miles / day seemed right to me if I wanted to run around photographing for a few hours at the start and end of each day. Ideally I'd like to get to my endpoint by 3 pm each day so I have hours to scout and plan for evening, night and morning shots.