Canon S100 (S95, S110, etc.) - exposure bracketing question

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Canon S100 (S95, S110, etc.) - exposure bracketing question

Post by oleander »

I have a Canon S100 and after reading through some threads here, decided to liberally use Exposure Bracketing on my latest trip.

So I have 3 of each image, all in different exposures. Now what? I suppose I expected that once the images were transferred to my computer, each set of 3 images would be automatically merged into one. That didn't happen. I still have 3 separate images for each one.

I'm fine with doing this - merging, or whatever it's called - manually, but can't seem to find any info about how to do that.

Help?

- Elizabeth
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Canon S100 (S95, S110, etc.) - exposure bracketing question

Post by Jimr »

If you want to do an exposure stack, you can download a couple of open source software products. Hugin software is a panorama stitcher and a good one, but it also has a program in it called Enfuse that can focus stack and exposure stack. The other software is Enfuse GUI. This program is merely a front end for Enfuse, since Enfuse is a command line program. The Enfuse GUI is a simple front end program that will allow you to use a Windows style control form to tell Enfuse what to stack and how to stack it. Click on the Thumbshots icons to get to the download pages for each.

If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Unless your camera has auto exposure bracketing and produces a HDR jpeg, you
will have to use either Photoshop, or one of the dedicated HDR Software's like
Huggins, Enfuse, or Photomatix (which is what I use).

Either of these software alternatives will give you better results than what you will
get from in camera processing.

HDR effect can be over done, and should only be used where you camera doesn't
have the dynamic range to handle the extremes in a particular scene, unless
your looking to get a grunge type of look. You have to use these effects judiciously
otherwise halos appear, shadows and light seem out of place and unrealistic.

Some prefer using Luminosity Masks (which takes more work but is more precise
and no halos or unrealistic effects), or even better using "Bend If Sliders".
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

One other thing I could do, I suppose, is start taking the photos in RAW format. I've never used RAW format before, but now is a great time to learn.

I was led to believe that the whole point of shooting in RAW is that the exposure can be corrected in post-editing.

Can anyone recommend a free or inexpensive photo software program that is good for editing RAW images?

- Elizabeth
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

It is a good idea to shoot in RAW because you have more control if you happen to miss an exposure. If you are planning on bracketing, then you should also use a tripod. It's much easier to blend different exposures when you use a tripod (no movement).

Since you are using a Canon camera, you can download Digital Photo Professional (DPP). I've been using it more and more lately to edit the RAWs. Then I use Photoshop (CS2) to finish it up. If you don't have Photoshop, you can buy the watered-down version, Photoshop Elements. I've never played around with it, but there's an Open Source editor called 'Gimp'.

As far as using Layer Masks, I wrote a short primer a few years ago: http://www.imagesinthebackcountry.com/a ... photoshop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I do have Canon's Digital Photo Professional. It appeared on my computer when I loaded the camera software on.

Thanks!
- Elizabeth