Sony RX100 III

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sony RX100 III

Post by richlong8 »

I noticed this week Panasonic announced the release of 2 new cameras, both with the Micro Four Thirds Sensor. Unbelievable cameras. They both have viewfinders, and the GM5 takes interchangable lenses, only weighs 8 ounces!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I got the RX100m3 on Friday. I am blown away by the quality of the OLED EVF. I can read all the display data in the EVF with or without my glasses. With the LCD I always have to put my reading glasses on to see the settings. When outside the EVF is very effective for framing or reviewing photos. I think it is easier to see photo details in the EVF than it is on the LCD display. I bought the Sony grip to provide a less slippery place to hold the camera. I like shooting wide more than long so I am happy the camera lens starts at 24mm equivalent.

I will give my Canon G1X to my son. On shorter trips (3-5 days), I may still carry my Canon 6D but I don't plan on doing multi week hikes with the DSLR again.
Jeff
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted

Post by vitaminC »

I've sort of taken the plunge, in that I've rented an RX100m3 to use on a 3 day trip this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs and what sort of battery life it has. Sadly, I was not able to rent extra batteries, so I may bring a little solar USB charger to top it off...
----------------
Lots of photos
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

JWReno, vitaminC, by now the two of you must have a lot of experience with this camera. I'm considering a purchase. Any advice now that you have had half a year with the camera? How has the battery life worked out?