Intriguing Green Streak on Long Exposure

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Intriguing Green Streak on Long Exposure

Post by alpinemike »

Just got back from my 10 day adventure in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. I took a photo of East Lake and left the shutter open on my digital camera which is a Nikon D7000 for about 2 hours. I'm assuming this green streak is the sensor not liking to be active for that long but I'm not sure. Anyone have this problem? I'm assuming that you just can't push a digital camera to have it's sensor open for more than about an hour or so. I've done 30 minutes in the past and it was perfectly fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Intriguing Green Streak on Long Exposure

Post by cmon4day »

Extra-terrestrial
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Southern lights?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I don't think it's Southern Lights.. They wouldn't look pixelated and it appears as though there's a green cast over the entire sensor. I've heard that digital camera sensors are more sensitive to green in the first place. I think it may be a sensor issue... I don't think digital camera sensors are supposed to open that long.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I presume no light from camp (headlamps, etc...) were on during the exposure? Does the camera have any light whatsoever on it while exposing? At least one of my Canon SLR's (could be on the others but don't have them in front of me to test) has a red light on the back which illuminates while the shutter is down. During long exposures this would affect the exposure as the light would end up exposing one corner/side of the image. My solution, which has worked ever since, was to would wrap a scarf or the like around the camera body to cover up anything that could illuminate the sensor (could be a setting to suppress the light, but I haven't found it)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My Canon instructions warn that during live view shooting, long exposures may capture irregular colors. Were you using Nikon's version of live view? You may want to look at your instruction book to see if the same warning is there.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

I think your sensor is overheating. Try stacking multiple exposures instead...
----------------
Lots of photos