Packing a DSLR

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Packing a DSLR

Post by rrivera »

I am doing the High Sierra Trail (over 8 days) in a few weeks and I am seriously considering taking my Mark II. I will take a very small POS with me as well to shoot along the way but know I can't beat my Mark II and III for the golden hours. I did a trial run with my equipment this weekend - the Mark II, 24-105 lens, remote, 2-stop ND filter and small carbon fiber Gitzo travel series tripod but found my packing to be awkward and probably inefficient.

Questions :confused: :
- What's the best way to back the lens and body? e.g. separate them, put something in the lower part of the pack, keep the whole assembly together? I will be carrying a bearikade - either the weekender or the expedition. I was having problems figuring out where to put the lens and ended up putting it on top of the canister but the pack ended up being too top heavy…there must be a better pack configuration. I put the camera body on the side of the cannister.
- How do you protect the lens and body? Do you just wrap it in clothes and/or use some type of casing?
- Between a 24-105 and a 16-35 lens which would you recommend? I'm definitely set on only take one of these. I may want to do some night photography so that would be a consideration/pro for the 16-35 but that wouldn't be my primary goal.

My goal weight for the trip is to stay at 40 pounds or below.

I appreciate any advice you experts have
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Packing a DSLR

Post by maverick »

Previous threads that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5194&p=32064&hilit ... ack#p32026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9055&start=0&hilit=carrying+dslr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also carry the lens that you use to take most of your best pictures with, if I would take
one it would be the 24-105, but I take 4 now. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The only time I pack my camera away is when the weather gets seriously wet. Then, I just stuff it into the sleeping bag compartment. The rest of the time, I have it around my neck, ready to use. Cameras in packs don't take a lot of photos.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

I usually carry my camera in a regular top loader camera case so that I can protect it form the elements. For times when I know I am going to shoot, like in the morning or in the evening, I keep the case in front and affix it between my two front straps with two s clips. This allows easy access. S clips:

It sort of looks like this guy, posted on the BPL site (not me)...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=22510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At other times I keep the camera case tied to the top of the pack using the case strap so that I can reach to get it easily. And when I just want to hike, it goes inside the pack on top of the bear canister. I usually keep a 16-35mm on as a default for shooting landscapes but you will find a wide variety of opinions and preferences.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I have a Lowepro Toploader with front mount harness. Comes in various sizes and additional lens case add-ons.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
mello
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mello »

fishmonger wrote:The only time I pack my camera away is when the weather gets seriously wet. Then, I just stuff it into the sleeping bag compartment. The rest of the time, I have it around my neck, ready to use. Cameras in packs don't take a lot of photos.
I'm far from an expert, but I have to agree with this philosophy.

I alternated between neck and hand-carry of my old 3+ lbs. film SLR/lens for the same trail you're taking. One thing I did was use the clips that Captain mentioned above to secure the camera to my pack straps and chest while around my neck. That way it's not swinging all over the place. It worked out really well.

Even if you are just taking "documentary" type photos along the way, why not get the best quality you can and also leave the extra weight of the point and shoot behind.
walter
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by walter »

I really like the Capture Camera Clip from Peak Designs (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/?c=clips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and have been using them since they first came out. It lets me keep the camera accessible without swinging around. I can unclip the camera, take a few shots, and put it back all within a few seconds. With the clip, I find i keep the camera on me almost all the time, I mostly put the camera away when climbing stuff I shouldn't.

I keep the camera bag strapped to the right side of my backpack so I can change lenses or put the camera away without taking off the pack. Reaching to the side can be a bit awkward, but its no worse the getting at my water bottle.

My tripod gets strapped on the other side of the backpack where it's easily accessed. The feet go into the water bottle pocket so they don't fall off.

My camera and lenses are a lot smaller though (Pentax K-3 with prime lenses) so I'm not sure if the same setup works with a larger camera.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

Great feedback everyone I am going to try two options and see what works best. I am going to try the Capture clip by Peak Designs I have an older and smaller clip from them which was fine for a Rebel series camera so I'll see how the larger one does. I am also going to try the Think Tank Holster 20. I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of these will work well.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I don't know what I am doing differently to secure my camera, but with the (wide) strap over my neck and right arm, set to the proper length, I don't have any swinging of the camera. No clips needed to keep it there. All I do is add a little gaffer tape to the camera where it may rub on body/pack/dirt as well as the memory card door (broke one off once, now I always tape it shut for those trips.

I don't carry anything to cover the camera, because unless I make such a cover myself, nobody makes something that would be acceptably light and easy to remove. In the early 1980s, my mother made a camera cover for my first DSLR, using just nylon and thin bubble foil, easy to slip over the body with lens and secured with Velcro. It was amazingly durable over the years I had a camera that fit into it, and less than an ounce in weight! If I had a sewing machine, I'd try to make another one like it. However, I never had any issues with unprotected DSLRs in the Sierra over the years, so I have been slacking on that project.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

That's exactly how I carried my old Canon AE-1 and Tamron 28-70mm lens. I tied a bandana around the camera to keep trail dust from collecting on it. That's it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.