Packing a DSLR

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Packing a DSLR

Post by Rockyroad »

I bought a Peak Design clip earlier this year so will be trying it out for the first time. To keep my camera protected from dust and rain or at times when I want to put it in my pack, I was thinking of finding some neoprene or similar and sewing a cover for it using my wife's machine. Can't be that difficult, right? :) If I actually get around to doing it and am successful, I'll post pictures.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

The Camera Capture is a great product! Mine has held up well for quite a few trips. I have found that it's possible (or should I say likely) that the camera will bang into stuff if you leave it mounted when taking your pack on and off. Something to be aware of.

My camera and lens are weather sealed, so I don't worry about the elements much, though I also try not to do much lens swapping.

I would vote for the 16-35, especially if you want to do night stuff. Your camera has enough resolution that you could do some digital zoom if needed. That being said, I've had a lot of success with getting great results from photomerge in Photoshop, so you can simulate a wide-angle lens as well! It is, however, tough to simulate a faster lens :D You could also try a prime lens. That is what I typically use in order to cut down on the weight.
----------------
Lots of photos
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I have done a couple of trips with my Canon 6D and a Peak Design Capture Camera Clip. Last year I used a zoom with it. This year I have been keeping a 24mm f/2.8 prime on it. I added a square piece of closed cell foam between the clip clamp and where tt attaches to my shoulder strap. The foam is wide enough that the camera body bumps the foam instead of my chest if the camera tilts to the side. The movement of the camera when attached to the clip is much less with a light zoom vs. my prime.

I will be doing a 18 day JMT trip with it this year. I decided to only take the 24 and 85 mm primes instead of a zoom. The primes are so much lighter and the camera can be almost ignored when on the shoulder strap. With a 24-105 or 17-40 zoom I did notice the camera on the should strap clip. I use the 24mm for about 80-90% of my shots. The 85 is for around camp people shots or when I need a little reach to bring out some distant landscape feature. The Canon 6D gives plenty of pixels for when a bit of cropping is needed for digital zoom.

I was going to take a 1.5 pound tripod/head but decided against it after my last short trip. I decided I am better off doing dedicated new moon short trips for when I want to do astronomy-landscape longer exposures instead of carrying a tripod for 18 days.
Jeff